This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The Emmy Awards 2020 was the most different edition of all time because of the Covid-19 pandemic. Without the celebrities with stunning outfits walking into the red carpet, the award was a big meeting on Zoom, it was a Zoomy! The whole show was live with some artists presenting the awards in the studio, including the host Jimmy Kimmel. But most of the nominees were at home all over the world. 

Everything that had to go wrong turned out to be a success at Emmy 2020. Watching the winners win the awards at their houses with friends and family, unexpected meetings and even tributes to the workers who are working during the pandemic marked this edition of the award. Check it out the best moments with statuesque delivered at home (or not), the great winners of the night and the best forms of prevention used by the Emmy team.

Fake audience

Jimmy Kimmel did the opening monologue in front of an audience full of great actors who applauded and laughed at his jokes. However, when Jimmy Kimmel himself appears in the audience laughing at himself, the trick is explained. The presenter is in the arena, but totally empty. And he still takes the opportunity to joke with President Donnald Trump: “Of course I’m here all alone! Of course we don’t have an audience. This isn’t a MAGA rally, this is the Emmys!”.

It was actually a “Zoomy”!

Without the audience in the crowded theater, the award took place in a space surrounded by screens in which several nominees were on a large video call directly from their home with friends and family. Some were dressed in formalwear, others with their dogs and children on the sofa, and others with the entire production team together. It was a big “Zoomy”.

The alcohol gel statuette

https://twitter.com/SeriesBrasil/status/1307813735059394561?s=20

Before the ceremony started, photos of an Emmy statuette holding alcohol gel circulated all over the internet. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the original prize given to the winners, but everyone wanted an accessory like that to protect at home, didn’t they?

Sterilizing the winner card

The first prize of the night was presented by Jennifer Aniston maintaining the social distance of the presenter Jimmy Kimmel. And the time to open the card to reveal the winner, the sterilization steps were taken very seriously. First the paper was taken out of a closed box and Jimmy sprayed disinfectant several times. Then he put the envelope in a basket and set it on fire, waiting five seconds to take effect. Jennifer Aniston was put in charge of putting out the fire with a fire instinctor and even then the winner’s name was intact (and now disinfected).

Home delivered prizes (or not)

Since most Emmy nominees were in their homes around the world, the awards created a way to deliver the statuettes directly to their homes. Some winners received the award live at the time their name was announced. But as the results are only released on the spot, in front of each nominee’s house there was a person duly attached waiting for the result to deliver (or not) the statuette. In the case of actor Rammy Yousef, who lost in the category of Best Actor in a Comedy Series, he filmed the moment the Emmy employee left his home with the award. “When you lose the Emmy”, tweeted.

Okay, but… What is “Schitt’s Creek”?

https://twitter.com/littlewomn/status/1307849553522159616?s=20

The biggest winner of the night without a doubt was Schitt’s Creek. The show broke the comedy series record with the most wins for the same season with seven trophies. But for the Brazilian audience the real questions were: “What series is this?”, “Isn’t that the ‘American pie’ guy?” or “This is that actress who played the role of Macaulay Culkin’s mother in ‘Home Alone’?”.

The Canadian comedy series tells the story of a wealthy family that goes bankrupt and needs to move into the only asset that remains: a small town bought by patriarch Johnny Rose (Eugene Levy), whose name is Schitt’s Creek. And yes, the actors Catherine O’Hara and Eugene Levy are in the cast.

A little “Friends” reunion

After putting out the fire (literally) at the beginning of the ceremony, Jennifer Aniston ran home to wait for the prize she was running for. But what nobody expected was that she was at home with her roommates: Monica and Phoebe! A small “Friends” reunion took everyone by surprise, including host Jimmy Kimmel. Acting naturally, Jennifer said she has lived with her friends Courtney Cox (Monica) and Lisa Kudrow (Phoebe) since 1994, the start of the series.

Zendaya stole the show

Even before the start of the ceremony, Zendaya caught the attention of the internet with the stunning look she would use to present one of the awards of the night. The actress from the series Euphoria was one of the most talked about subjects in the world on Twitter during the Emmy and her appearance to reveal one of the winners of the night stole the scene.

And then, she made HISTORY!

Zendaya became the youngest Emmy winner for best actress in a drama series. At the age of 24, she won her first Academy Award for Television, for the role of Rue, in “Euphoria”, the HBO series. Competition was also high with big names such as Olivia Colman (“The Crown”), Laura Linney (“Ozark”), Jennifer Aniston (“The Morning Show”), Jodie Comer (“Killing Eve”) and Sandra Oh (“Killing Eve”).

She received the award with her family and friends and thanked the academy and the production of the series. “I know it seems like a very strange time to celebrate, but I just want to say that there is hope in young people out there. I know that our TV show does not always seem like a great example of this, but there is hope in our young people. And I just want to tell all my colleagues that they are doing the work on the streets: I see you, I admire you, I thank you ”.

In Memorian

One of the most sensitive moments of any award is the “in memoriam” honoring great artists who died in the last year. With a stunning presentation by the singer H.E.R. covered the Prince classic “Nothing Compares 2 U”, artists like Chadwick Boseman, Regis Philbin, Naya Rivera and Carol Spinney were remembered.

Surprise award

Another fun way that the Emmy created to deliver the prize to the winners was with a surprise box that exploded with confetti and delivered the statuette from a distance. So it was with RuPaul, who won the Emmy for Best Reality Presenter for the fifth time in a row. Take a look at his reaction!

An alpaca with a little tie

A bizarre moment was also the appearance of the comedy actor Randall Park who presented one of the awards with … a tufted coat wearing a bow tie. Yes, that’s what you read. Randall even joked: “When you read the email too fast, the phrase ‘You are going to present with an alpaca’ looks a lot like ‘You’re going to present with Al Pacino’”.

Covid drive thru test live

The presenters of the award were really taking prevention seriously. While actor Jason Sudeikis featured the winner of the best comedy series, he did a live covid-19 test. And according to the nurse, no, it couldn’t wait.

—————————————————————–

The article above was edited by Gabriela Sartorato.  

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

All I want is to write about what I love the most in life: music. Music is what moves me everyday and helps me to express myself