Edição Extra Girls: Cameras and Stories

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Edição Extra airs on TV Gazeta every first Sunday of the month at 11:30 pm and it is the only experimental TV program made by students aired at open television. There, along with monitors Alessandra and Lígia, students can develop a TV piece in all its intricansies – contacting interviewers, recording, editing, scheduling. It’s also the first opportunity for TV wannabes to test the ground and see if they enjoy being on and behind camera. Let’s meet the girls behind Edição Extra!

Name: Alessandra Petraglia Miguel

Age: 22

Year: 2016

Major: Journalism

Hometown: São Paulo

Sign: Libra

Preference: Man

Status: Single

Interests: Music, Books and Sew

Why have you chosen to study in Cásper rather than any other school?

Since I was on 8th grade, I knew I wanted to study journalism and Cásper has always been a reference on this area. I love Paulista Avenue (where the school is located), it has a huge structure thanks to Gazeta. I visited other colleges, but none of them enchanted me as this place did and still do.    

How was the process to get into Edição Extra?

I have worked in two places before here, mostly press office internships. Also, I’ve done a participation in Vem Comigo, Edição Extra as a producer, Esquinas magazine and Radio Gazeta. I had experience in a lot of those areas, but my knowledge of TV wasn’t that great, I learned a lot in these last few months here. I knew about the opportunity, applied for the position… Now I’m here.

What do you do in Edição Extra?

I do a little bit of everything (laughs). We (Lígia and I) coordinate the program, supervised by Tatiana Ferraz (Journalism at Radio an TV professor). We do monthly meetings with students so we can develop a calendar and get more themes suggestions. The program has a very dynamic profile, so we want to keep the essence young and innovative.

What has been your biggest gain working in here?

It’s an amazing experience! It’s great to be able to participate in the whole process. The result is really significant. We think that everything is really simple, but there is a huge structure behind all of that. It’s necessary to be organized, we need to contact the interviewer, check and schedule transport, equipment…  We learn how to operate with bureaucracy and it’s not easy. We also edit all the shoots taken, so we spend a week doing only that. But, seeing the result is indescribable.

Who is your journalism role model?

I adore Leonardo Sakamato. I follow his work for a very long time, even before starting to study in Cásper. Caco Barcellos either, I’ve already read all his books.

After Cásper, what’s next for you? TV?

Yes, TV. Definitely. It’s an area which I found myself. It hasn’t been a long time I’m in Edição Extra,  but the few experience I had so far made me sure this is what I want to do. Also, I love investigative journalism.

How do you manage your time? Between Edição Extra, being a great student and having a social life?

I usually wake up at 8 o’clock and I read the things I need, do my school’s works and I work from 1 pm until 6 pm. There are some calm days that we find some time to read something, but, some projects need to be finished during late nights or weekend times.

Your advice for staying calm during tough days?

I drink a lot of coffee (laughs). I think it is a way to relax. Eat chocolates sometimes. I’m a very calm person, but on the program’s deadline week what we do is count to ten, breath, think positive, because, in the end everything just goes right.    

What Edição Extra represents in your life today?

It means a lot! I’m so proud of being part of it. Some renowned journalists are once in my position, like Maria Júlia Coutinho (Maju), Estevam Muniz, so it’s very exciting. It’s awesome to have a recognized work and we are engaged to make it better always, then the next generations will enjoy this experience as much as we do now.

Name: Lígia Neves

Age: 22

Year: 2016

Major: Journalism

Hometown: São Paulo

Sign: Sagittarius

Preference: Man

Status: Single

Interests: Photograph, books, writing

What is the best part about doing Edição Extra?

There are many. We don’t have a routine, which is really good, we make our schedules, record, edit. Besides that, the best part is the people we meet during the interviews, common people that we talk to and make some difference in their lifes.  When we think about doing journalism, we dream about changing the world and when you start college, you realize that it might be more difficult, but you can change little worlds.

If you could highlight one story you’ve done for Edição Extra, what would it be?

The one about street dwellers. I spoke to people who don’t have food. They don’t have anyone to talk to and I gave them 30 minutes of my time so they could tell their stories. It really marked me. The recording was terrible, because it was night, it was raining, we got wet, we didn’t have any structure, the camera-man didn’t know how to manage the equipment very well, we didn’t have any protection… it was really difficult, but amazing for this interaction we had with the people.   

Do you have some ritual before recording?

No, I just like to check everything. I see all the camera configurations before recording… because we already had big problems for not doing that, losing audio, images. I like to prevent those things.

After Cásper, you are certain to be working on TV?

Yes, but I don’t know which area. I like production, reporter, direction… so I don’t know exactly. That is one of the reasons I like Edição Extra so much, we can do a little bit of everything which prepare us for future jobs.  

And how did you become monitor of the program?

It’s been a year I’m working here. I applied by the end of my sophomore year and after a serie of interviews, I was accepted. But, at that time, I never expected to be called, so when they said I got the job, It was great.

I don’t know how to answer that… after I got here, I opened my horizon, so it represents learning, we learn so much from the people we work with. I learned more here in one year than in Cásper since my freshman time, because we have the practice. The lessons are important, we need the theory, but without practice you don’t know how to face the reality of this career and life.

Do you have a dream job?

Now, I think Profissão Repórter. They always approach polemic themes, current discussions, and I’m interested about it. I like to go to these places and see what is happening. I don’t want to stay only in one area of journalism, I want to go out of this bubble we created.

Alana Claro

Casper Libero '17

Alana is a Senior in Cásper Líbero University, majoring in Journalism. She is President of Casper Libero's Chapter and an intern in a Corporate Communications firm. Born and raised in Sao Paulo, where she speaks Portuguese, although English is her ever-lasting love. Alana is a proud Slytherin and INTJ.