“Dumbo” Review: More Than A Movie About An Elephant Who Can Fly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

It’s a great year for Disney remakes. With Aladdin and The Lion King programmed to release still in 2019, Disney started with a live-action of one of its oldest movies, the adorable Dumbo. The live-action is directed by Tim Burton and was debuted in March 11 in Los Angeles.

This new version of the Disney cartoon is not just an adaptation. The producers care to continue the original history, creating new events way more exciting than the 1941 version, making it not just a simply copy and paste film like Disney have been doing with its latest remakes.

Image Source: IMDb

It presents such a rich and real figurine and visual, which is really hard to believe that the movie was made almost fully with technology. Dumbo, even made by computer, is able to emotion and conquer the public in the first minutes of live-action.

The movie counts with an excellent cast such as Colin Farrel (Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them), Michael Keaton (Batman), Danny DeVito (Jumanji) and Eva Green (Penny Dreadful). The first impressions of the movie was pretty divided by some criticizes that loved and others that don’t think it was so good.

Image Source: IMDb

The Rotten Tomatoes gave a grade of 52% of approval, while in IMDb, Dumbo reached 6,8/10. The gamer Chris E. Hayner said that it’s the best Tim Burton’s movie that he have seen in the latest years, while a journalist from ING says that the movie doesn’t make you care about what’s really going on.

Even don’t conquering everyone, this new version of Dumbo could bring issues like bullying, respect for differences, animals rights, acceptance and the value of family, besides bringing a large feeling of emotion, that I have certain that you will love it! Dumbo of 2019 is more than just a child and innocent movie about an elephant with big years who can fly!

Nicoly Bastos

Casper Libero '22

Student at Casper Líbero who loves writing and hope to help world become a better place with it❤️ Instagram: @nic_bastos
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.