Don’t Worry Darling! Here’s Everything You Need To Know About Olivia Wilde’s New Movie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Apparently Olivia Wilde is reading our dream journal and making our wishes come true: Harry Styles, Florence Pugh and Chris Pine are all set to appear in her upcoming film, Don’t Worry, Darling.

2020 has not been the best time for new releases in the film industry, ever since the pandemic started everything has been put on hold. However, some movie sets came back to record and one of them is Olivia Wilde’s movie. So here is everything you need to know about it!

The Plot

https://twitter.com/dwdspoilers/status/1324632719637184512?s=21

The movie has been described as a “psychological thriller set in an isolated, utopian community in the 1950s California desert”.

According to Collider, Pugh plays an unhappy housewife (Alice) who questions her sanity when strange things start happening in her community. Styles plays her doting husband (Jack) who’s hiding a “dark secret.” Pine plays the revered leader of a mysterious, cult-like worksite.”

Direction, Screenplay and Production

In a time when we need more women directing in the film industry, Olivia Wilde comes to the rescue. She became known by her part in the Tv show ‘The O.C’ (2004-2005) and has also had roles in movies like ‘The girl next door’ (2004) and the documentary ‘Body Team 12’ (2015), this last one being nominated for an Academy Award. Olivia is also a Broadway actress, she had her debut in 2017, playing Julia in ‘1984’. Her directing debut began with the comedy Booksmart (2019), which got rated 97% “fresh” on Rotten Tomatoes, from 271 critics’ reviews.

Wilde has another major directing project ahead: helming a Marvel film. Last month, she confirmed she’s working with Sony to develop a film in the famous superhero universe with a lead female character. The story is rumored to center around Spider-Woman.

Katie Silberman is the screenwriter, who already worked with Olivia, writing Booksmart, and also wrote the screenplay for the Netflix rom-com Set It Up (2018), and the romantic comedy Isn’t It Romantic (2019).

The Studio is from New Line, a piece of Warner Bros.

The Cast

The cast could not be fuller of talented people. Florence Pugh, known from her part in Little Women in 2019, is confirmed as the female lead, ‘Alice’. Florence has already been nominated for best British/Irish performer at The London Film Critics’ Circle Awards, and played iconic roles such as Katherine in Lady Macbeth (2016) and Dani in Mindsomar (2019).

The icon Harry Styles is also confirmed as the male lead, playing ‘Jack’. Even though Harry’s specialty is making music, he has already acted a few times before. In his first experience he played himself in the tv show Icarly (2012) on a special episode with the One Direction’s boys. After that, he played the soldier Alex, in the movie Dunkirk (2017) directed by Christopher Nolan. The movie got 8 nominees for the Oscars, and won 3 of them. Last years, he was the host and the actor in some sketches in the classic show ‘Saturday Night Live’ (2019), which he got many compliments about.

Chris Pine is a known face on the movie screen. He gave life to the captain James Kirk in the J. J Abrams trilogy of Star Trek. He is also part of the DC universe, playing Steve Trevor in Wonder Woman (2017). Chris played parts in movies like Into the Woods (2014), Horrible Bosses 2 (2014) and Just My Lucky (2005) and he has been nominated for many awards at the Critic’s Choice and the People’s Choice Awards.

Kiki Layne is also confirmed to be in the movie, her performance in If The Beale Street Could Talk (2018) received many compliments in the academy, the movie got two nominations to the Oscar, an won one of them. She was also part of the cast of The Old Guard (2020) and Veracity (2015).

The cast is probably not complete yet, however we also know that the director Olivia Wilde is playing a supporting role, along with Gemma Chain.

Pause In The Production

Don’t Worry Darling is on hold since November 4th, after a member of the production tested positive for coronavirus, The studio, New Line, confirmed and said the diagnosis became an occupational hazard, so filming was shut down immediately and everyone on set was isolated right away.

The person who contracted the virus “is not a member of the principal cast but someone who was in close enough proximity to them that the shut down was deemed necessary to find out if anyone else on the production has been exposed,” they added in the Deadline.

So far, no one else on the film has tested positive. Production will be paused for a few weeks, which is the recommended length of quarantine, per safety guidelines.

——————————————————————

The article above was edited by Laura Enchioglo.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Marina Ponchio

Casper Libero '24

Encantada pelo poder de contar histórias