This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

One of the biggest names in the cinema history is Quentin Tarantino. The director, producer, screenwriter and actor has collected more than 12 world prizes and became a cult celebrity. With great and famous works like the series of movies Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction, Inglourious Basterds, he has shown his style: strong stories, rich dialogues and a lot of violence — a lot!

Image Source: iMDb

Tarantino was born in 1963 and started directing only in 1992, with the feature film Reservoir Dogs. But it was only after the triumph of the movie Pulp Fiction (1994) that he received widespread acclaim, as a commercial and critical success that collected seven Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture and Best Director and started his style with martial arts films, filled with violence and pop culture references.

It was during one of his films with Uma Thurman that the idea of his next great success came: Kill Bill. The film was launched in 2003 and led to a second movie in 2004 with striking soundtracks and a lot of polemics. Later on, the screenwriter received several award nominations for his work with Inglourious Basterds (2009) and Django Unchained (2012), which led him to his second Oscar win for best screenplay. 

Image Source: iMDb

In 2015, he released The Hateful Eight with the italian composer Ennio Morricone and won the Oscar for Best Original Score. And this year, the director came with this latest film Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019) that portraits the final years of Hollywood’s Golden Age in 1969, starring Margot Robbie, Brad Pitt and Leonardo diCaprio.

Image Source: iMDb

But even with all the great success he has made throughout this time, Tarantino can be a very polemic and controversial figure. Known for his violent scenes in movies and for his temper in real life, the producer has got into public disagreements with famous directors and was even forced to account for his own alleged misogynistic behavior as a director, including when he claimed that acting out scenes of physical violence towards actresses was for the pursuit of the perfect shot.

During the filming of Kill Bill, he coerced Uma Thurman to drive a dangerous stunt car, which resulted in a crash that was life-changing for the actress. Also more reports have shown that he had choked and spat on her, and rumors have pointed out is violent ways with Diane Kruger in the filming of Inglourious Basterds.

It is a fact that Quentin Tarantino is one of the biggest directors and screenwriters in the world, with great movies that have been a global success, accumulating several nominations and prizes, but it’s always important to pay attention and question his controversial issues as a major celebrity and influence in the movies world. 

Giovanna Favero

Casper Libero '21

Journalism student from Sao Paulo, Brazil. Constantly finding herself, telling stories and fighting for a better and equal world.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.