This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

When discussing maternity and women sexuality, nowadays, It is important to discuss protection and contraceptives, once it is necessary to secure women’s well-being and autonomy.

According to a research from The Sexuality Project, by Prosex, in 2008, young people started to have an active sexual life earlier, between the ages of 13 and 17 years old. IBGE (Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics) carried out a survey, between 2012 and 2015, revealing that young people are less likely to prevent in sexual relations: 33,8% did not use condoms during their last sexual intercourse when the survey was made.

Female condoms | Image Source: WikiMedia Commons

Early sexuality was always present in society and everyone has the right to feel pleasure, but it is necessary to analyze some risks, such as unwanted pregnancy and STDs. The lack of guidance makes early sexuality to cause physical and emotional harm, damaging people for the rest of their lives. Therefore, prevention is one of the most discussed and implemented ways to have control of your sex life. But are you aware about all methods?

Among so many available ones, it is important to emphasize that it is necessary to talk to a reliable gynecologist to choose a method, since the doctor should always consider your age, sexual relation frequency, needs and health! The following information were given by Fernando Dias Sobrinho, graduated in 1977 at College of Medical Sciences at Santa Casa, in São Paulo, and specialized in gynecology, obstetrics, ultrasonography.

1. Birth control pills

Image Source: Pixabay

They are made of a hormone similar to those produced by the ovaries. It acts by inhibiting ovulation and hinders the passage of the sperm into the uterus.

2. Contraceptive injections

Image Source: Pixabay

This method is similar to the one mentioned before. Both of them are made of hormone and act the same way. There are a monthly and a quarterly injections.

3. Male and female condoms

Image Source: Pixabay

It is made of latex and acts like a barrier. It is the only method that offers double protection – it protects from pregnancy and STDs. The male condom is used only during intercourse and the female condom can be placed up to eight hours before intercourse. In case of disruption, women can also take the emergency contraceptive pill, which we will discuss later on.

4. Diaphragm 

Image Source: Lojas Americanas

This one is a rubber or silicone cover with a ring-shaped border, placed inside the woman to cover her cervix. It is a barrier method, but it doesn’t offer double protection.

5. Spermicide

It is a chemical made to be introduced into the woman. It prevents sperm into coming to the uterus. It can be used with a barrier method, such as condom and diaphragm.

6. Intrauterine Device (IUD)

Image Source: Lojas Americanas

It is a device placed by a professional inside the uterus. There are two types of IUDs, the non-hormonal copper IUDs and hormonal IUDs – known as Mirena. Both act by killing the sperm and preventing them to meet the ovule. Women that have children normally choose this method because it is “convenient”. The non-hormonal copper IUD is not indicated to those who are allergic to copper and the hormonal IUD to those who have had breast cancer in the past 5 years or that has liver disease because of its hormones.

7. Vaginal ring

Image Source: WikiMedia Commons

It is a thin and flexible ring containing hormones such as estrogen and progesterone, which are absorbed by the circulation, inhibiting ovulation. It stays inside the woman for three weeks then it is taken out for a week and the process starts all over again.

8. Contraceptive patch

They are adhesives that contains estrogen and progesterone, which are absorbed by the circulation, inhibiting ovulation.

9. Tubal ligation

It is a surgery where the fallopian tubes can be cut and tied, cauterized or closed, preventing the sperm from finding the ovum.

10. Emergency contraceptive pill

Image Source: WikiMedia Commons

It is used after unprotected intercourse or when the condom bursts. It works by preventing ovulation and decreasing the possibility sperm to fertilize with ovum. It should be only used in emergencies because it is a “hormone bomb” which can cause harm to women’s body.

11. Interrupted intercourse

The member is withdrawn from inside woman’s body before ejaculation. Although it is widely used, it should not be stimulated as a contraceptive method once the fluid that comes out before ejaculation may also contain spermatozoa.

Nathalia Higashionna

Casper Libero '21

Marketing and advertising student in São Paulo @nathhv