A Different Kind of Marvel Hero: Review on Doctor Strange

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

I am a huge Benedict Cumberbatch fan (read Sherlock Holmes too), so when the first trailer of Doctor Strange was released I was a 100% sure I needed to see the movie.

The story focuses on Stephen Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch), a distinguished neurosurgeon, who had been through a car crash that left both his hands unstable and problematic. After spending several dollars and hours in experimental surgeries to have his hands movement back, – something that of course, does not happen – he discovers a awkward case of a man that miracoulously healed himself after a spine fracture. The man advises him to search for Kamar-Taj, a place in Katmandu, Nepal, and with whats left of his money, Strange goes there. In Kamar-Taj he meets The Anchient (Tilda Swinton), a woman powerful and wise in the mystics arts, and soon Strange starts reading and studying on the “Multiverse” and how to manipulate elements in order to make magic. As you may know if you are acquainted with Marvel movies, there is always a villan surrounding everything, and in this case, the man is Kaecillius (Mads Mikkelsen), one of the Anchient’s former students, who seeks immortality through the dark forces. Therefore, as you can also imagine, Strange will be responsible for bringing Kaecillius plan down and saving the earth (who knew, right?).

Although the story plot is quite interesting, in fact the digital effects are great and well made (it reminded me a lot of Inception), there are a few holes, as if there could have been more information on these mystic arts and Strange’s progress in learning about them.

Alana Claro

Casper Libero '17

Alana is a Senior in Cásper Líbero University, majoring in Journalism. She is President of Casper Libero's Chapter and an intern in a Corporate Communications firm. Born and raised in Sao Paulo, where she speaks Portuguese, although English is her ever-lasting love. Alana is a proud Slytherin and INTJ.