College Girls Tell How They Manage To Flirt During The Pandemic Scenario

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

We have never heard of mental health as much as now. Isolated, the need for the community spoke louder, we learned to find new ways to communicate, whether, with our friends, distant relatives, co-workers and/or college and, of course, for love, there is always creativity and time left. Here are some stories told by girls (whose names we will keep a secret, to protect them) who managed to flirt during quarentine: 

Cupid operation

We may have lost sparks on the other side of the sidewalk, on the subway, on buses, at parties, and in the hallways of the university, but when it comes to a pretty face and a reason to smile stupidly, there is no pandemic to stop it. As well attached to the internet, she was the main flirtation tool. For B.C. (21) , student of Anhembi Morumbi, the cupid arrows were dating apps and Instagram. A tip from B. to find that favorite notification on Insta, is to follow some pretty girl (Heather style) and enter the marked profile pictures to look at friends, but not stop there, flirting is an art, and B. had whole planning, FBI operation level:

“It was not just follow-up, I had to do a planning at Insta so that they could interact with me and I could know if there was any flirting.”

For this, she polled the stories on various topics, such as movies, series, music, food, the basics of starting a conversation, in addition to posting photos with captions that attracted attention, put the possible crush in the “closed friends” so that intimacy and, over time, he saw if interest was actually taking place. She ensures that even if you don’t get the crush, you work on engagement and gain more followers.

Quarantine and dating, do they match?

In this pandemic, love at first sight opened up space for the love of the first match. The student at Cásper Líbero G.S. (20) is almost celebrating a year of long conversations with her “Troy Bolton” from Tinder. For her, the dating app was the solution for those who were tired of the same people from college, the almost journalist says that at first, she was afraid, but then she ended up meeting a boy who takes the same course as her, but at another university. For a change, it was not just the degree they had in common, according to the university student at each conversation, the tastes, and interests of the two matched. 

“We talk almost every day about everything. In April we completed a year of this crazy thing. I’ve seen him on the screens, but not yet in person. I don’t feel nervous in the sense of fearing that I don’t like him when I meet him face to face, because I am completely in love with who he is, personality, heart”. 

Another student of Cásper Líbero, B.C. (20) had success in her flirtation, she was going to travel the following week after Carnival and as she would be out of her city, she decided to change the location in advance to where she was going in order to find any “contacts”. During that time, she met a boy on Tinder and they started playing LOL (League of Legends) together, which made them start talking a lot, mainly through Discord. “I went to travel on the 25th and came back on the 4th. There, we met and that was basically it”.

Say yes to the old love

In addition to get new contacts, the internet has allowed old relationships and interests to have a new chapter. C.B. (22) from USP, used to use the old trick of sliding DM from Instagram and Facebook to talk to people he knew by sight, and in one of these conversations, a message led to video calls, and today, they are dating. For G.C. (21) of UNG, an ex-passion became the current one.

However, G.G. (19), from Cásper Líbero, reconnected with an old contact who could have turned into something more that she is still trying to overcome. They met at school and in the last years of high school they got close, but ended up losing contact. Last year, he started answering some of her Instagram’s stories and then she put him in her Close Friends. It started with a totally unpretentious flirtation and she was loving it, because, according to her, quarantine and lack is a perfect combo. The ending happened just before the carnival because he wanted to ignore the quarantine to spend the carnival on the beach and wanted G. to go along but he just never answered her again when she declined the invitation. 

A happy ending in the pandemic, does it really exist?

However, not everything is a fairy tale, in the case of N.P. (20) of UFSC, “It is being pathetic…you talk for two, three months with the person and you don’t have anything foreseen, so things end up getting cold”.

Well, not everything can work out or be easy, but while everything is still in chaos, the alternative is to keep our safety and everyone’s safety first, and what’s more, we are the internet generation, why not use it to our advantage? After all, we won’t know if we don’t try, will we? 

——————————————————————————–

The article above was edited by Helena Leite.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus at Casper Libero home page for more!

Vivian Padilha

Casper Libero '22

Advertising student, passionate about the area I chose to have as a profession and grateful for living experiences that help me more each day to be a better professional. Enthusiastic about fashion and film from the 2000s.
Maria Cunha

Casper Libero '23

Journalism student, passionate about cinema and theater. I love my family more than anything in the world and I am grateful to God every day for it. São Paulo and soccer fan. Enthusiast of reality shows and soap operas. ????