“The Circle”: A Reality Show That Turned Into a Global Phenomenon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The American version of the reality show “The Circle” was dropped on Netflix this year and has already won a lot of fans. The show is a social-media-style competition series, in which the contestants are evaluated based on their ability to run an account on a show-created platform called the Circle. The best one, wins $100,000.

The original show started in the United Kingdom in 2008. Nowadays, the reality show has a version from the United States, France and even Brazil. As a result, the show has become a global phenomenon and here is why.

There Is A Combination Of Humor, Drama And Suspense In A New Format

The program brought to the reality show industry a new format. The cast cannot see each other, which makes it even better to the public. The audience has fun with the reactions of the contestants and their strategy to cause a good impression with their comments and their profile. The public suffers when someone is eliminated and becomes curious about who is going to be the next one.

Cast Diversity

All versions invested in a diverse cast. They came from different states and cities, had different sexual identities, various lifestyles and all body shapes. This inclusive selection brought the program closer to the public, which is made up of distinct people from all over the world.

People Can Pretend To Be Someone Else Entirely Or Portray A Different Version Of Themselves

A catfish is a fake or stolen online identity, created or used for the purposes of beginning a deceptive relationship. In “The Circle”, it is not different, the contestants can use other people’s images to look better or improve themselves to win the prize.

People Rank Each Other

The idea of the public not being able to choose the eliminated, at first, seems uninteresting. However, the game dynamics of the two most influential competitors blocking someone is what makes “The Circle” a unique reality show.

To become an influencer, it is necessary to be popular, which reflects our current society exactly. People judge and rank others everyday, especially the ones they are following.

Many Current Relationships Happen Through Social Networks

More and more, social relationships lose physical contact and become mostly online. The essence of “The Circle” is this kind of interaction. The players don’t know what their virtual friends are thinking or if they are even real, but it is important to make connections. This way, the reality show makes an approximation with our society, becoming more interesting and proposing a reflection about what we share online and with who.

We Are All Living Similar Situations Of The Reality Members

Since the beginning of March, a large part of the world has been living in a quarantine period, due to the Coronavirus pandemic. In similar situations to the members’ reality during the show, many of us ended up bored or depending only on social networks for contact with friends and family.

To solve the situation, it is possible to count on some experiences acquired through “The Circle”, such as doing physical exercises at home and maintaining the dialogue of relationships or with friends through video conferences. Besides that, content platforms, like  Netflix for example, are being accessed more than ever, which makes “The Circle”, a reality show that represents this moment we’re living in, gain extreme visibility.

—————————————————————–

The article above was edited by Laura Okida.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Maria Cunha

Casper Libero '23

Journalism student, passionate about cinema and theater. I love my family more than anything in the world and I am grateful to God every day for it. São Paulo and soccer fan. Enthusiast of reality shows and soap operas. ????
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.