Hero?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Hero?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media
Style

Change In Fashion: 10 Labels And Profissionals That Are Making The Difference

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Diversity in the fashion market is constantly growing. Several brands, stylists, models and even journalists in the area are changing the traditional concept of fashion without abandoning glamor. For this reason, Her Campus selected 10 Brazilian fashion professionals who are making a difference in the industry.

Isaac Silva

Coming from the interior of Bahia, Isaac Silva is a businessman and stylist who has carried a brand with his name for 6 years. At the beginning of his career, the specialist did not take his original surname as a signature on his clothes; in an interview with Muro Pequeno, Isaac commented that he previously marked his creations as “Isaac Ludovic”. “I had an image that designers had to have a Europeanized name,” he explained. 

Currently, the stylist already carries his name on his pieces in order to show his ancestry. His creations seek to transmit elements of Afro-Brazilianity so that the fashion industry can respect this culture. “The fashion market has a lot to learn from Afro Brazilian fashion […], fashion has to reframe Afro Brazilian fashion”.

Aside from his significant references in his prints, Isaac also claims to be concerned with the production process of his collections. According to the designer, each piece of his brand went through hands passionate about fashion. “I want to be a good person who sewed that outfit, that previously cut the fabric, […] so that outfit has a nice energy”.

Isaac Silva is gaining more space in the fashion industry every year. In 2019, the stylist had the opportunity to show his collection “Acredite no seu axé” with a beautiful show at São Paulo Fashion Week N49.

Sam Porto

Sam Porto is one of the names that stood out the most last year. Directly from Brasilia, Porto is the first trans model to appear at the SPFW and to mark representation on the Brazilian catwalks.

“I thought the agencies would push me into the women’s line and fit me as an androgen. I always wanted to be seen as trans.”, commented the model in an interview for Glamour Brasil.

According to Porto, he never went through a gender transition because, since his childhood, he always imposed himself and never followed the feminine standards of society. In addition, the model reinforces that he wants to show his scar (mark of the breast removal surgery, mastectomy) because it brings him pride.

He further states that he sees importance in trans representativeness within the fashion market. “I’m here to break down barriers. I want to be seen and recognized as a trans person ”, he explained.

Suyane Ynaya

Suyane Ynaya is a Brazilian stylist who, in 2020, became part of Elle Brazil magazine team.

Coming from the Juscelino community, in the east of the city of São Paulo, Ynaya inspires her followers with the concept of “sevirology”, that is, achieving your goals with what you have, without waiting for surreal conditions to make your dreams come true.

“The periphery has always been the change that fashion industry needed. If fashion today breathes the street, the suburb was responsible for dictating trends.”, commented the professional in an interview for Glamour magazine.

In 2016, Suy created with friends the MOOC, a collective that addresses the theme of black people in marketing. In this light, Elle’s editor is an active figure on social networks about causes like Black Lives Matter, feminism, body issues and others.

Anacê

Created by Cecília Gromann and Ana Clara Watanabe, the Anacê brand invests in fluid cutouts that depart from female and male standards.

In an interview for the website iLovee, the stylists said that Anacê is a brand that “values the national identity, breaking stigmas of bodies in gender issues and resignifying the silhouettes of traditional tailoring”.

In addition, the store is one that stands out to circumvent the economic problems generated by the new coronavirus pandemic. Through a completely remote campaign, Anacê had the help of 5 employees to maintain its sales during social isolation. Photos and videos made at home, Instagram posts and high engagement made the designers continue to sell the pieces of the new collection of the brand.

Cristina Naumovs

Cristina Naumovs is a 42-year-old designer and creative editor. For approximately 4 years, Cris was the editorial director of Cosmopolitan magazine in Brazil.

Recognized for her enormous talent with words, Naumovs has become a reference for many in the journalistic field. Besides that, the designer speaks openly on her social networks about feminism, the LGBTQIA+ movement and other social issues that surround her.

In an interview with Gama Revista, Cris opened up about her relationship with fashion. “I decided to stop irritating myself with clothes,” she commented when asked about her huge collection of sneakers. “I was never a standard body size 2 and decided to have fun with something that suits me.”

Negro Piche

Produced by Iury Aldenhoff from Ceará and his mother Ionete Rodrigues, the Negro Piche brand carries in its Instagram biography an excellent description of the pieces: “empowerment” and “ancestry”.

With vibrant colors and a lot of lightness, Negro Piche seeks an ageless sewing. The prints of the clothes are often carried by a floral and tropical theme, a perfect representation of the Brazilian landscape, mainly from the Northeast.

The brand’s social networks are constantly proving to be active in the causes of Black Lives Matter, bringing representativeness and activism to the fashion world.

Barbarhat Sueyassu

Graduated in psychology, Barbahat is a model that seeks to bring representation to people with vitiligo.

“I have vitiligo but I am a person who has vitiligo. I am not my vitiligo. We can’t just be diagnosed. […] We need to be treated and respected like any other human being”, said Sueyassu in an interview for the show Encontro com Fátima Bernardes.

The model defines herself in her Instagram bio with the phrase “Breaking standards and fixing mirrors.” And, in fact, Barbarhat is an example of self-acceptance and resistance not only in the fashion industry, but also in society.

Lucas Danuello

Paulista and passionate about fashion, Lucas Danuello is a designer who was lacking in the market. That’s because his brand Greg Joey is not tied in a genre. Danuello elaborates his creations through a constant detachment with what is feminine and what is masculine.

“Wearing the same clothes for men and women is not as commonplace as many people say out there, you have to go far beyond making t-shirts and sweatshirts. So, I try to propose new ways, make a unique outfit that works for both audiences”, said the designer to Harper’s Bazaar magazine.

Danuello’s pieces make a difference in the traditional clothes we saw on the streets. With natural fabrics, wide shapes and great comfort, Greg Joey translates modern fashion with austerity.

“Getting dressed is communicating to the world where you came from, where you want to go” commented Lucas.

Cynthia Hayashi

Cynthia Hayashi is a stylist who won the Project Runway Brazil in 2011. Owner of the CYN brand, the designer started a different campaign during the pandemic to help frontline professionals to combat Covid-19. 

Doing what she does best, Hayashi created an Instagram page called Juntos Contra Covid-19 (@juntos_contra_covid19) to raise funds and produce masks, caps, surgical pajamas, aprons and many other necessary medical accessories.

Cynthia’s project went on until June and, now, the stylist has turned her focus to help people who are suffering from the São Paulo winter. Collaborating for the Pastoral do Povo de Rua de São Paulo, Hayashi donated blankets to homeless people through CYN.

Dresscoração

Loo Nascimento is the founder of the Dresscoração brand, a store that, according to the creator in an interview for Red Bull, “works with mining of Brazilian textures and prints with a similar aesthetic to that of African printing”. 

With the desire to exalt her descendants and reinforce the Brazilianness of her creations, Loo creates handmade pieces in a light and national fabric.

Aside from Dresscoração, the stylist is also responsible for making accessories in the iLoostre brand. The idea is to produce necklaces, earrings, bracelets and other accessories that carry African ancestry and constantly affirm the strength of black fashion in Brazil. “This inspiration comes from mainha, who has always had the plastic arts as a hobby and left it as a legacy”, commented the designer.

——————————————

The article above was edited by Gabriela Sartorato.  

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Laura Vicaria

Casper Libero '23

Laura is jornalism student at Faculdade Casper Libero and a feminist in Brazil. She is passionate about fashion, pop culture and female power. Taking women to the top of journalistic positions is one of her biggest goals as a professional and supporter of gender equality.