Bright Future: Meet Alessandra Freitas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

She already interviewed renowned journalist Gay Talese and is currently working at Veja São Paulo. A few days away from delivering her TCC and getting her degree Alessandra Freitas can, without a doubt, be considered a talented journalist.

Name: Alessandra Freitas

Age: 21

Hometown: Belo Horizonte

Course: Journalism

Year: 2015

Sign: Scorpion

Status: Single

Preference: Boys

Favorite color: blue

Best movie: The Lion King

Most interesting book: Harry Potter

Series: Lost and House of Cards

How did you decide to be a Cásper Líbero’s student?I am from Belo Horizonte (capital of Minas Gerais state) and I made a lot of tests, including Cásper. I chose here, not UFMG (a public college in her home state) and convinced my parents to move to São Paulo.

You moved to São Paulo. Was it difficult? Why?My parents agreed and we moved to São Paulo together. It was not difficult because I am “ok” with changes. I have lived in Rio de Janeiro too.

What is the best part of being in college?I guess the TV studio and the edition islands at the 4th floor.

Did you make friends here?Of course. Gabriela Boccaccio is my best friend here. We do everything together basically, including our final project.

Do you have any good memories about Cásper?Yes! A lot of! I believe that I will miss some facilities, the location, all the equipment, like cameras and stuff.

Did you participate of Cásper Líbero groups?Thanks to Talese, I became part of “Edição Extra” – the TV program produced and edited entirely by students and hosted at TV Gazeta.

Do you mean Gay Talese?Yes! Let me tell you about it. I was in New York for a media course at New York Film Academy. I stayed two months there and during that time I emailed Gay Talese saying that I worked for TV Gazeta, and it was kind of truth since I was participating a lot of Edição Extra. I had so much luck because, unbelievably, he answered me during my last week there! He called me asking if I could come to his house. Talking to him was a dream, and my colleagues helped me a lot, encouraging me. I went to his house with two friends, shaking on! I remembered his ecru carpet because it was raining and we put our dirty feet in there. We were so embarrassed. His telephone rung and he asked my friend to answer it, as we were part of his life! At the end, we were invited to a dinner with Talese and the New York Times editor, who was his friend.

So did you become part of Edição Extra after that?When I came back to Brazil I talked with the E.E. team. They were very excited about my story, and I became part of the team after the selection process.

You wrote about movies for the Cásper Líbero website too, right?Yes! I love movies. Especially Harry Potter. I would stay 14 hours at the movie theater’s line to watch the previews. I read the books so many times, my mom wanted to hide all of them. In 2012, I covered the last movie and then I wrote a review about it. It was very embarrassing for me because I cried during the covering… It was such a huge part of my life that when it ended I got really emotional.

Where are you currently working right now?I am working at VejaSP since 2014. I write about cities and take care of the blog Vinte e poucos anos (Twenty something years).

Top 5 facts:

She went to “Tomorowland” party.

In 2014, she visited Paris with her friends.

She has already sung Happy Birthday to Cásper Líbero’s Principal, Carlos Costa.

Last year she was part of “Vem Comigo”, a TV show produced by TV Gazeta and hosted by students

Mauro Beting was one of her interviewees.

Marcela Schiavon

Casper Libero

Petite, loving, determined. Marcela don't have preferences about her career because she likes all areas of Journalism. Sometimes jealous, a little bit angry, very focused. "Eu gosto dela - Projota" is a song that defines her way of living.
Alana Claro

Casper Libero '17

Alana is a Senior in Cásper Líbero University, majoring in Journalism. She is President of Casper Libero's Chapter and an intern in a Corporate Communications firm. Born and raised in Sao Paulo, where she speaks Portuguese, although English is her ever-lasting love. Alana is a proud Slytherin and INTJ.