This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

If you’re one of those people who listened to Despacito 1,000 times, but now can’t stand to hear the first two verses, you’re not alone. But keep calm, not everything’s lost. We know that the rhythm of that song is addictive and makes you want to dance wherever you’re.

Reggaeton, a Latin and Caribbean music style that has emerged in Panama, is gaining more space in the international music scene with the success of Luis Fonsi’s hit. This rhythm that has become popular in Puerto Rico is appearing at the top of the charts in several countries, and other singers are making a lot of success, taking the Spanish language to different parts of the world.

Here are some Latin artists who are rocking the charts and gaining ground in the world music scene. I bet you will get addicted to other Reggaeton-style songs besides Despacito!

#1 J Balvin

Image Source: LatinPop Brasil

Known for the hit single Mi Gente, J Balvin is a Colombian singer of Reggaeton who began his career in 2009. Since then, he has participated in remix versions of songs like Blurred Lines, by Robin Thicke, and The Way, by Ariana Grande. In 2016, he was nominated at the Latin Grammy for Best Urban Music Album, for the album Energia. And if you think Despacito was the biggest song released last year, know that Mi Gente dethroned Luis Fonsi’s song after 14 weeks in the lead in Spotify’s Top Global!

#2 Danny Ocean

Image Source: Portal GRNews

Daniel Morales, also known as Danny Ocean, is a Venezuelan singer, songwriter and record producer. Also around 2009, he created his video channel on YouTube and began in music professionally. His greatest single Me Rehúso was released in September 2016 and then relaunched in 2017. With an English version of it called Baby I Won’t, the song became a hit in several countries in Latin America, Europe and the United States. All this success made him the pioneer as an independent artist to position himself in all the Latin music charts of Spotify.

#3 Maluma

Image Source: Napster

Maluma is a singer and songwriter of Colombian Reggaeton. In Brazil, he was known for featuring in the music Sim ou Não, of the Brazilian singer Anitta. Success in Latin America with his single Farandulera, he was hired by Sony Music Latin and recorded his first album. In 2013, the song La Temperatura, with Puerto Rican singer Eli Palacios, became his first single to enter the US charts for Latin audiences on Billboard, reaching number 24 on the Billboard Hot Latin Songs.

#4 Enrique Iglesias

Image Source: Vagalume

Son of the singer Julio Iglesias, Enrique Iglesias began his career in the 90’s and achieved immediate fame with his first single, which would make him the most consecrated Latin artist of the 1990s, 2000 and 2010. With albums in English and Spanish, he became one of the most popular artists in the Latin market in the United States, selling more albums than any other artist of the genre, receiving the title of King of Pop Latino. Iglesias made four hits in first place on the Billboard Hot 100 and set the record for producing 42 Spanish hits in first place on the Billboard Latin. In 2014, with his single Bailando, he entered the list of the 5 most watched videos of all time on the internet, surpassing 1 billion and a half views on YouTube and winning 3 Latin Grammy Awards.

#5 Daddy Yankee

Image Source: Letras

If you (for sure) overheard Despacito, you’ve realized that it’s not just sang by Luis Fonsi. The rap in the song is from Daddy Yankee. Known for the famous single Gasolina, he’s famous for recording songs in both Spanish and English. Winner of 6 Grammy Latin Awards, his album Barrio Fino sold more than 2 million copies in the United States and also sold very well in Europe, Asia and Australia. Yankee has appeared on over 70 albums and performed with Nicky Jam, Snoop Dogg, Camila Cabello and many others.

#6 Wisin

Image Source: Amazon

Best known as his stage name Wisin, Juan Luis Morera Luna is a Puerto Rican reggaeton rapper, singer and record producer, who became known as a member of the reggaeton duo Wisin & Yandel, wich made sucess in the 2000s. He released his first solo album El Sobreviviente in 2004 – and 10 years later, in 2014, his second solo studio album, El Regreso del Sobreviviente. His last album called Victory released songs such as Escápate Conmigo and Todo Comienza en la Disco, which became hits in the reggaeton chart.

#7 Sebastian Yatra

Image Source: La Zona

Known by the stage name Sebastian Yatra, he’s a Colombian singer and songwriter of reggaeton that became known in 2016 with the hit Traicionera, wich also had a remix version with the Brazilian band FLY. This year, Sebastian made a featuring with David Bisbal on the single A Partir de Hoy and a month and a half after the release, the music video has already more than 80 million views. With this, it’s already the second most viewed video by David Bisbal on YouTube.

All I want is to write about what I love the most in life: music. Music is what moves me everyday and helps me to express myself
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.