Between Technology and Real Life: Snowden Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The movie “Snowden” tells the story of Edward Snowden, the NSA agent that, nonconformist with the north American government’s spiying in civilians  publishes secret information that proves the government watched everyone around the world.

Edward Snowden is represented by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and his girlfriend, Lindsay, by the “Divergent” actress, Shailene Woodley. Others famous actors such as Nicolas Cage and Zachary Quinto take part on the movie as well.

Although the lack of action that the movie has – mostly because is a kind of a documentary – “Snowden” is very interesting. It reveals facts about the agent’s life that wasn’t known, just as struggles inside the US agency. However, there’s a very technical language that, for those who don’t know anything about technology, can make it hard to understand sometimes.

If Snowden is a hero or a villain, only history will tell. However, the movie clearly tries to take the viewer to think of him as a hero, but, at the same time, it doesn’t hide facts that can make people think the opposite. Because of that and to learn more about the 2013 chaos that America has been through, “Snowden” is a great movie.

Andressa Isfer

Casper Libero '18

Alana Claro

Casper Libero '17

Alana is a Senior in Cásper Líbero University, majoring in Journalism. She is President of Casper Libero's Chapter and an intern in a Corporate Communications firm. Born and raised in Sao Paulo, where she speaks Portuguese, although English is her ever-lasting love. Alana is a proud Slytherin and INTJ.