This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Reality shows are famous all over the world.  Addressing several different themes and meeting all kinds of taste and audiences, the productions have established themselves as a great way to entertain those who watch. The idea of seeing ordinary people doing ordinary things through a screen attracts us.

In Brazil, BBB — the Brazilian version of the famous Big Brother — is shown on a national network between January and April and always becomes one of the main subjects debated among Brazilians. This year, especially with the pandemic of the new coronavirus, the program has become one of the main forms of entertainment for people confined at home.

On the streets, it was possible to hear our neighbors celebrating eliminations, victories in races and the result of the great champion. It seemed like the World Cup final, but it was just a reality show that brightened up Brazil. After the program came to an end, many people, still in quarantine, asked themselves “what now?”, but there are plenty of great reality shows to entertain us! Here are some of them:

The Circle

I’m sure you’ve heard of this one. The Circle is the world’s newest phenomenon and one of the most watched reality shows nowadays. With European, American and Brazilian versions, the show has conquered audiences around the world.

Unlike other reality shows in which the participants are confined, in this one the participants do not know each other in person, but through a social network called Circle. 

In it, people must create a profile of themselves, and sustain an image — true or not — of themselves. In the end, whoever gains the most popularity becomes the big winner.

The Circle is available on Netflix.

Nailed It

Like most gastronomic reality shows, in this one, participants must cook the dishes made up by the jury in a pre-established period of time. But in this case, there is a small difference: the cooks are ordinary people who don’t know how to cook, nor have an affinity with the kitchen. 

In each episode, three competitors compete for the $10,000 prize. The jury and presenters, extremely comical, contribute to make everything even funnier.

Nailed It is available on Netflix.

Rupaul’s Drag Race

This reality, presented and idealized by the famous drag queen Rupaul, seeks out the drag queens that are up to the title America’s Next Drag Superstar. 

Rupaul’s Drag Race is available on Netflix.

To do so, they need to prove themselves more talented, charismatic and prepared than their competitors. Challenges that test their skills in singing, dancing, personality and even celebrity imitation will eliminate one participant per episode. In the end, part of them compete in the final for the great and desired title.

Love Is Blind

In this show, the participants enter with one objective: getting married. They are introduced to unknown people, with who they talk through a booth for ten days without seeing each other.

Love Is Blind is available on Netflix.

After ten days, they must decide whether they want to meet each other, but the decision is not so simple. Couples can only get to know each other if they get married.

The Final Table

The Final Table brings together the best cooks in the world. In the reality, they must compete, initially, in pairs. The challenges are made up by the jury, which changes with each episode. The theme of the events is always the typical dish of a particular country, with which the chefs must impress the jury — natives of that country. 

The worst pairs of each event are submitted to a final challenge, that eliminates two cooks. In the end, only one is the big winner.

The Final Table is available on Netflix.

Back With The Ex

Four couples meet again after a long time and are confined in a space where they need to live together. 

Exploring the idea of “what would you do if you had a second chance?” reality leads participants to find out if they can fall in love with their exes again, or if the ending was really the best way out.

Back With The Ex is available on Netflix.

Glow Up

Ten amateur makeup artists compete against each other for the title of Best Make Up Artist of the United Kingdom. The participants are judged by Val Garland (Global makeup director of L’Oreal Paris) and Dominic Skinner (Global Senior Artist of MAC, plus special guests.

With challenges that demand talent, creativity and agility, the program shows the quality of the work of those professionals, and how makeup is present in various parts of society.

Glow Up is available on Netflix.

The article above was edited by Amanda Oestreich.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Giulia Lozano Pacini

Casper Libero '23

.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.