Avatar Is Back: What To Expect From The Movie’s Sequel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

After the first Avatar movie everyone is waiting for its sequence: The Way of Water. This is because the original movie was a huge success. Premiered in 2009, Avatar debuted in theaters and delighted audiences with innovation by showing the completely new world of Pandora. Reaching the mark of $2.847 billion in total film gross, it has become the success of the highest-grossing film in the world.

This is not for many! Thirteen years have passed and no film has yet reached that mark. The closest was Avengers: Endgame with $2.797 billion, but it stuck to second place ahead of Titanic. So get to know what to wait for the sequence.

What do we know about the sequence?

Now that we have a dimension of the franchise’s success, there’s a lot to expect from the sequel. After years of waiting for news from Avatar: The Way of Water, we finally have a trailer and a date set for the film’s release. However, few details of the plot have been revealed, but we already know that the film will continue to focus on issues of the environment, natural habitat and colonization.

The sequel will continue to tell the story of the planet Pandora, along with protagonist couple Jake Sully (Sam Worthington) and Neytiri (Zoë Saldaña), who have now built a family. But now the Na’vi population faces a whole new threat, as seen in the trailer.

The film will be the first of three sequels that director James Cameron plans to release. We’ll have some new characters played by great actors in this sequence. Actress and Oscar winner Kate Winslet will appear in the film, returning to work with the director after the success of Titanic. Other names return to play the role of the first film in the saga, such as Sigourney Weaver and Stephen Lang.

What to expect from Avatar 2?

After the cinematic revolution of the first film that introduced the modern 3D technology, the sequel must, at the very least, maintain the high technological standard of images. At first, the idea of ​​the film was to further revolutionize 3D technology, now being able to watch the film without wearing glasses. But that proposal did not follow through.

As the new feature will feature multiple underwater sequences, higher image quality is requested, and for that, the production must increase the amount of frames per second (fps) to something around 120 fps.

Speaking of filming in the water, Kate Winslet told to The Hollywood Reporter that she had to learn how to take a long time without breathing in order to film some scenes. “I had to learn how to free-dive to play that role, and that was just incredible. My longest breath hold was seven minutes and 14 seconds, like crazy, crazy stuff. I play a water person. I am a water person”, afirmed the actress.

After years waiting for the sequel, Disney and 20th Century Fox announced that the film will be released in theaters on December 15th of this year. But the director James Cameron is not going to stop in this movie, as Avatar 3 is already set to release in December 2024, Avatar 4 for December 2026 and, finally, Avatar 5 for December 2028. Check out the trailer:

————————————–

The article above was edited by Camila Nascimento

Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Casper Libero for more!

Gianne Oliveira

Casper Libero '24

22 years Journalism student at Cásper Líbero Great passion for music, art and books