This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

By the 365th day of quarantine, you’ve probably heard about aromatherapy. It’s an easy and fun way to balance our feelings, heal some wounds and get motivation, all done by the use of essential oils. These may seem like some magic potion, but are simply natural extracts whose effectiveness is due to the super concentration of plants and flowers. To exemplify, in the production of one liter of neroli essential oil, one of the most valuable, two tons of petals are used. No doubt they’re so powerful!

Ok, let’s get practical. How can they be used? Well, there are many ways! Here are some of them.

Smelling

This is the most traditional way to enjoy the benefits of aromatherapy. As the name says, here we make use of the properties of oils through their smell. This is done by putting a few drops in a diffuser and letting the smell spread through the environment.

Different oils have different functions. So if you had a really stressful day or are suffering from insomnia and even anxiety, lavender is a good choice. It has calming properties and will make you relax easier. On the other hand, if what you need is focus and concentration to study or exercise, you should try clove or rosemary.

Believe it or not, aromatherapy can also help with some deeper issues. Ylang-ylang oil is known for improving self-esteem when frequently used. It’s a good one to carry in a personal diffuser, which comes in the shape of a necklace. Depression patients can benefit from essential oils too, especially citric ones. Orange essential oil is considered the oil of happiness for being really stimulating and helping with enthusiasm. Plus bergamot and lemon oils have energizing properties, propitious for the depressed.

Skincare

Essential oils can be a huge ally when it comes to beauty. Tea tree oil has been gaining a lot of attention from the public for its effectiveness in acne treatment and oil control – It has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties, so it is perfect for a detox. You can use it by adding a drop into a clay mask and even buy some of the multiple products that have appeared with the substance – soaps, masks, scrubs… Just never directly on the skin!

The rosehip essential oil is also a hit. Even Kate Middleton was reported to be a fan! According to Harper’s Bazaar, it “contains both vitamins C and vitamin A, which can protect against signs of aging”. It also improves overall skin texture and hydration levels.

Hair

Your hair can also benefit from these natural substances. Rosemary oil can be a good pick here too, especially if you are struggling with hair loss. It helps in the good cleaning of the scalp, as well as improves vascularization, favoring the growth. Two ways to use it are adding a few drops to your shampoo (3 for every 100 ml) or preparing a tonic with 2 cups of water, half a cup of rosemary leaves and 20 drops of essential oil and using it twice a week.

Aches and bruises

Last but definitely not least, aromatherapy can be of great help when it comes to physical discomfort. Peppermint, as an example, is widely used in the treatment of pain and inflammation in the muscles. Just add it into a carrier cream and massage the pain site. Eucalyptus oil, on the other hand, has decongestant effects. Added to a diffuser or massaged on the chest, it can treat rhinitis, colds and cases of flu. There is also lavender, a natural antiseptic that cleans and heals wounds, minor burns, dermatitis and insect bites. Plus it is cheaper and has a better fragrance than traditional ointments!

These are just some of the ways to enjoy the magic of essential oils. There are thousands of them, from the most various plants. But always remember to look for trustful brands, such as doTERRA, By Samia and Plant Therapy. And when in doubt, always look for an aromatherapist. Essential oils are powerful components that need to be handled carefully.

———————————

This article was edited by Thays Avila.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Gabriela Girardi

Casper Libero '22

Living, experiencing and writing