body images 2019 03 08 pexels photo 970203jpeg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 03 08 pexels photo 970203jpeg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Architectural Guide: 5 Amazing Brazilian Buildings To Put On Your Travel Wishlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Those who want to travel around Brazil, at first, always think about knowing its most famous beaches to enjoy the natural beauty and having contact with nature. However, Brazil also has wonderful architectural constructions that all those who  love Brazil, architecture and traveling should know. Check out some of them, spread throughout the five Brazilian regions, from north to south!

Copan Building (São Paulo, SP)

Inaugurated in 1966 and located at 200 Ipiranga Avenue, Copan is one of the most emblematic and famous buildings in São Paulo, the largest city in Brazil.

The building is also one of the greatest symbols of modern Brazilian architecture. Designed by Oscar Niemeyer, it has the largest reinforced concrete structure in the country, with 115 meters high, 32 floors and 1160 apartments.

Used for residential and commercial purposes, the building has approximately 5,000 residents and 70 commercial establishments. Its unique S shape is one of the most impressive characteristics of the building, because it contrasts it with the surroundings, full of right angles. In addition, the use of briseis in its construction, besides providing sun protection, enhances its wavy shape. Its unique architectural style, added to its history in São Paulo, attracts tourists, who can visit it for free on working days.

National Congress (Brasília, DF)

In the 1960s, the Brazilian capital was transferred from Rio de Janeiro to Brasília. The transfer of the capital was a President Juscelino Kubitschek’s plan to urbanize the interior of the country. Therefore, Brasília was entirely designed by Oscar Niemeyer and Lúcio Costa. The city is an obligatory destination for architecture lovers.

Without a doubt, its biggest postcard is the building of the National Congress, where the House of Representatives and the Federal Senate take place. Even those who do not like or are interested in politics should visit, at least once, the National Congress, one of the most famous buildings in Brazil.

Wire Opera (Curitiba, PR)

Set up in only 75 days and inaugurated in 1992, Wire Opera is a Brazilian theater, located in Curitiba, in the south of Brazil.  Its name refers to its construction, made with steel tubes and metallic structures.

In a circular way, the building is almost entirely surrounded by an artificial lake, so that the access to the auditorium is made through a walkway over the waters.

The auditorium had physical capacity for 2,100 spectators, but after a 2006 refurbishment, the maximum audience became 1,000 people, aiming to preserve the structure.

Lacerda Elevator (Salvador, BA)

Located in the state of Bahia, the Lacerda Elevator was the first elevator in the world to be used as a means of transportation and was created to solve a permanent problem in the city since its foundation: its great unevenness. With 72 meters of height, the elevator carries approximately 900,000 passengers per month.

Inaugurated in 1873, almost a century and a half later, it is in perfect working condition. Its main function was to connect the upper part with the lower part of the city. But nowadays, tourists are also attracted by the beautiful view of the sea, which can be admired from above, and the Lacerda Elevator has become one of the main postcards of the city of Salvador. The price to access it is R$ 0.15! So, it is very easy to get to know one of the main attractions of the city.

Amazonas Theater (Manaus, AM)

The theater, located at Manaus, in the north of Brazil, is the main cultural and architectural symbol of the state of Amazonas, inaugurated in 1896 and declared a National Historical Patrimony, enchants for its magnificence. With the largest part of the original architecture and decoration, the Teatro Amazonas has a Renaissance style.

In its interior and exterior, the building has structures imported from places like Italy, France and Spain, besides wonderful paintings and masterpieces, such as the painting of the ceiling of the Noble Hall, made by Domenico de Angelis, in 1899.

The showroom has capacity for 701 people, distributed among the audience and three cabin floors and has been the stage for artists such as Roger Waters and Spice Girls.

It is important to point out that Brazil is a giant country, with 26 states and one Federal District, and this list brought only five tourist points, one in each Brazilian region. However, there are many more buildings and incredible places to visit spread throughout the country. The Brazilian tourism contemplates from the people interested in the contact with nature to the people in search of appreciating good architecture. So, make the itinerary that suits you most and enjoy!

—————————————————————–

The article above was edited by Mel Trench

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!