Alone in São Paulo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Although moving out home in Brazil is not a practice as frequent as it is in America or England, some Brazilians do leave their homes to start college in other city or state in our big country.

Exiting though, this change can be a tough one. The “new girl in town” will be dealing with cooking her meals and taking care of her own health. Moreover, making new friends and feeling homesick while a bunch of other challenges will eventually come along this experience.

To inspire and help new casperians moving to our exciting São Paulo, we gathered some statements from some of our collegiettes:

Dorys Dantas

Hometown: Mogi das Cruzes, SP – 66 km

Major: Radio, Television and Internet

“In my hometown, which is smaller than São Paulo, everyone knows one another and interact more. São Paulo is a place where you are nothing in the middle of nothing. Due to the fact that no one knows anyone, I feel more lonely here than back home.

In here, people also have to take the bus or the subway to go everywhere, because it is a huge city. However, if I feel like doing something at any time of the day, I do it!

São Paulo is more dangerous and people are more individualist. Cásper helped me to let loose among so many people I barely knew before – in this way I started to get by on my own. If I have moved to São Paulo and did not count with the help and friendship from people from college, I would be completely lost here.”

Anna Beatriz Oliveira

Hometown: Santos, SP – 73 km

Major: Journalism

“I’ve always wanted to move to São Paulo, because I particularly didn’t think I had the right profile to live in Santos (a city by the beach), that there wasn’t the city for me. Then, when I got into Cásper I had the chance to move.

The biggest difficulty I have had here so far was concerning the food. When I was back home, my parents used to cook for me and now, when I want to eat something, I have to make it on my own. I always get lazy and end up eating out, which means I have a lot of fast food for meals (laughs).

At Cásper, I have found many people in the same condition as me; people who have left their family to venture here in Sao Paulo. We became a big group of friends and share tips on how to survive in the big city.

To newcomers: when we move towns, mainly if you live in a small city (which is not my case) we tend to think we are going to be alone and won’t get used to it, but that is not true. After a while, we adapt and meet people who are in the same situation as us and then it becomes a routine.”

Débora Romanini

Hometown: Mairinque, SP – 78 km

Major: Journalism

“Living in São Paulo is really different from living with my parents. I have to be more responsible: I have to pay the bills, buy food. On the other hand, I have more freedom. It’s all about my schedule and I don’t have to give satisfaction to anyone. If I want to arrive home at midnight or on the next day, I can do it. Nevertheless, if something goes wrong, I am on my own. My parents are some miles away from here and if I need to deal with an emergency, I will have to handle it alone.

I love the city thought. I just don’t like the traffic, but the rest I love it all. Mairinque is a small city and the cultural aspect is much richer here. I can visit and meet many places I wouldn’t be able back home. Cásper was my reason for moving, and if it wasn’t about the love for the college and knowing that it is the best in the country, I wouldn’t even have moved. Therefore, knowing that I’m in a place I love I don’t even think about quitting.

I advise new comers to live near college, because the town is unknown and it is easier not to get lost. Living with people you know is good too, but it is important to remember you’re by yourself.”

Letícia Vaz

Hometown: Bragança Paulista, SP – 88 km

“If I were in any other university, even in my city, I wouldn’t have all the possibilities Cásper offers. Now I’m working at a news agency, next to Cásper, near my house, and I love it.

Being away from my family is tough and in São Paulo, people are more individualist. Paulista is the closest place to a home for me. All people, jobs, places I have met until now came along with Cásper. As I spend most of my time there, I feel less lonely.

The entire infrastructure – the radio (Gazeta AM), the magazine (Esquinas), the TV program (Edição Extra), the library and the labs – is adapted to the students. And I advise everyone who is moving out next year to enjoy mom’s cooking while they are home (laughs).”

Lívia Vitale

Hometown: Amparo, SP – 132 km

Major: Journalism

“It’s really tough to be away from your family and I think that was what bothered me the most when I moved out. However, when you get used to it, talking on the phone doesn’t seem so bad anymore. The adaptation was hard for me, because I did not know how to cook, but eventually we learn it.

São Paulo is different from my city; it seems you get much tired during the day. There is so much to see, it is so cool. I love here, mostly because of college. I think doing something you like in a place you are related to, changes everything. If I was doing something I didn’t like and far away from home, it would seem terrible and I would be already back home.

Firstly, you have to get to know minimally the city you are moving to, see if you like the energy, the movement, the contrast, and the university facilities as well. Obviously, you don’t leave school knowing certain if that’s the career you want – but we need to try and search about the college we are applying for, if that’s what we want. When you like the place you live, this certainly makes being away from family much easier.”

Elisa Aleva

Hometown: Varginha, MG – 317 km

Major: Radio, Television and Internet

“At the beginning, I was surprised by the size of the city, because my hometown is small. On the hole, moving out was more positive than negative. The adaption to the life away from the family is weird: everything is new; you do not know where you are or how to get the subway or the bus. You get kind of afflict sometimes.

In addition, people here are different from the kids in Minas (state where Elisa comes from). There they like to hug, and here everyone is lovely but in a different way – and you have to get used to it.

Cásper was a reference to me, a place where I felt safe. I could come to college and hang out whenever I wanted to. During the first months, I used to spend my afternoons there, even if I had nothing to do.

I really like the surroundings of Roosevelt Square; there are many theatres and bars around. That vibe is really great. To newcomers: do not lose your focus, it is easy to be distracted by the many attractions and activities the city provides. If you are missing home, you should try to do things you used to do more often back at your hometown, which helped me a lot.”

Laís Fernandes

Hometown: Franca, SP – 399 km

Major: Journalism

“I do love São Paulo! I didn’t think it would be this hard moving here. The only difficulty was being away from my family and dealing with the distance, because they are all in Franca and I’m here on my own.

I’ve had a hard time at cooking and sometimes I have to make stuff up, clean the house and manage all this housework. Although I love the city and I hope to live here forever, if I have the chance. The pollution was the only bad side of my brand new life in here.

When I got into Cásper, I didn’t know what to expect. New city, new people, new phase in my life. At the first day of class, I was really surprised I could fit in and meet so many people. I think the secret is not being shy or ashamed of starting a conversation, mainly at Cásper, where everyone is receptive.

My favorite place is Paulista Avenue. There is no better and no prettier place! I love walking down the avenue, at any time. I love the cultural diversity and all the things you can find there.”

Helena Pacheco

Hometown: Vitória, ES – 874 km

Major: Journalism

“After six months, I am missing home more than at the beginning, mostly because of the distance from the friends I could always lean on and the things happening on my family that I can not keep up with. However, I am enjoying a lot the experience of getting to know Sao Paulo. It is so big and it has so many possibilities!

Moving has been easy, I rent a bedroom at an apartment. The place has three bedrooms; the owner rent two of them and lives in one. The environment is cool; I can both socialize and have my own privacy.”

Marina Quaresma

Hometown: Salvador, BA – 1.998 km

Major: Journalism

“I’ve always wanted to move to São Paulo. That idea really delighted me. It is so much different from Salvador. The adaptation is the hard part: the climate is different, the food is also weird, but I like it a lot. I don’t intend to come back home.

I like the effervescence of São Paulo. I think that it is nice when I feel like eating at midnight and know that there are opened restaurants late at night. I like to be working madly and see others in the same position, not being ‘an ET’ in this situation (laughs). I like the possibilities São Paulo brings to people that other cities don’t.

Salvador is very peculiar at jobs offers, the city works in a different logic. My favorite place is, without a doubt, Paulista Avenue. Cásper helped me finding friends that took me to places I wouldn’t have met if I was all by myself, besides providing me another vision on the city. A tip I can give is: learn how to cook before leaving home (laughs).”

We, from Her Campus Cásper Líbero, hope you enjoyed this collection of statements from some of our collegiettes. Feel inspired to move to São Paulo and know that you will have all the support from a bunch of other students.

Thaís Monteiro

Casper Libero

Veteran in Casper Libero, majoring in Journalism. Thaís is a libra passionate about São Paulo, married to both Greys Anatomy and Friends, obsessed wiht greek mitology, astrology, reading and singing'n'dancing. I feel so honored to be a part of this team. I hope I meet your expectations.  Feel free to contact me.
Bárbara Muniz

Casper Libero

Bárbara Muniz is a Journalism student and Theather lover. Half journalist, half artist, totally feminist. Hufflepuff placed, sagittarian and vegetarian. Cásper Líbero University's Charpter co-correspondent and editor-in-chief. Intern in a Brazilian broadcast channel called BandNews TV, where she works among production for newscast and social media.