free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

All You Need to Know to Start Your Own Capsule Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The sustaintable lifestyle is a trend. And it doesn’t only talk about buying clothes that do not have a history with analogue slavery work. But also about how we have to think about our impact on Earth.

If we are aware that we do not need that much pieces of clothes, then why don’t we change our habits? This is one of the thoughts proposed by the ones who have a “capsule wardrobe”, which consists on strategically keeping only the clothes we will efectivelly wear on the day-to-day routine.

You will never struggle to choose an outfit anymore (and will help the planet)

Image Source: Godisable Jacob from Pexels

The idea might even sound impossible for you, who can’t even donate that dress you bought in 2009. But I promise it is viable and will only improve your life. Because with a few clothes, and thinking that most of them will fit each other, it will be easy to choose your outfit in the morning.

Spoiler: it will come a time when you will know by heart if that blouse goes with that skirt and heel. Not to mention that you will stop spending half your income in the shopping mall. Beyond that, our planet will thank you a dozens of times for your choice. The fashion industry still counts with a series of polluter processes during its production, such as the use of pesticies when planting cotton and the fabric dyeing.

Even though there is no data to translate these facts in numbers, it’s been years activists and environmentalists are warning us about this problem. To blame the consumers is not the best way to deal with the siuation, however, we can dream with a better future if we adopt more suntainable habits and show the producers that we do care about it.

A perfect capsule wardrobe in five easy steps

Image Source: Mica Asato from Pexels

If you’re still not convinced or need a little push, here are five amazing tips to change, for good, your way of consuming fashion.

1. Find your style and donate everything that does not fit it

2. Elect your key-colors and use them as a motto

3. Always remember your old clothes when buying new ones

4. Invest on key-pieces, which does not mean boring-pieces

5. Play with your closet and find new amazing ways to combine your pieces

Needing more inspo? Then get to know the history of Daniela Kopsch

Image Source: Daniela Kopsch in Less Is The New Black, her blog

Daniela is a journalist who decided, many years ago, to only use 50 pieces of clothing within one year, without buying any other clothe during the period.

HC: How was it to reduce your closet from 200 to 50 pieces in a society that encourages the consumerism?

DK: At once. Once I was decided, I only kept what could fit a bag and that was it. We are pretty attached to material stuff, that is why I believe that if the process takes too long, you might feel discouraged and decide to give up. A weekend is enough to organize your closed and to keep only what you actually wear. In the beginning I was feeling insecure and did not know if that would work. It is normal to think that will not be enough. But the truth is the oposite. Clothes are more used because they get more organized and acessible. It changes the way we relate to things. You stop treating it as disposible objects and start thinking long term. This change is pretty positive, this is why I recommend it to everyone.

HC: After deciding to spend a year without new clothes, was there any moment when you though about ending the challenge to buy new pieces?

DK: In the beginning it was hard, mainly in the first three months. During this period I held myselft not to direct the will to buy new things to other “allowed” items, such as books and home stuff. Consumerism is a terrible habit. In a boring or bad day, for an example, buying means getting something new, bringing fast joy. That is why it is so hard to resist. The only way to scape it is making this process a conscious one. Realizing that to buy is not a real need and that its benefits are ephemeral.

HC: Do you see yourself as an activist in the area, trying to warn others to embrance a more sustainable consumption?

DK: I did not see it like that in the beginning. I started with a private experience, but the blog attracted the interest of a lot of people who were also rethinking their consumption habits, so it was an interesting interchange. Now that the challenge is over, I’m happy to share this experience and to motivate other people to try too. As soon as the one year challenge was ending, I dedice to keep the blog with the same goal. I believe we still have to think a lot about how the conscious consumption can improve our lives and the world.

HC: In your opinion, journalism vehicles that talk with the feminine public can help building a more conscient fashion consumption?

DK: The publicity and marketing jobs are to stimulate the consumerism, and our media commercial model is mainly based on publicity. This is why building the stereotype of the consumerist woman is strongly based, and to bring it down is not an easy task. As a journalist, I study communication trends and image that our future is going to more alternative and colaborative directions. In these space, it will be possible to expand and improve the quality of the content for the female public. The sustainable consumption is a matter that empowers women, that makes us more selfconfident and less of a “fashion victim”. Self esteem is the best weapon agains consumerism. 

Beyond that, the conscious consumption helps our financial health and allows us to plan our future in a better way. Spending less with impulsive shopping, you have more money to invest on courses and trips. It all is self development. It is not only related to fashion or finances, but a whole life improvement. 

Camille Carboni

Casper Libero '19

Senior at Cásper Líbero University, majoring in Journalism and Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus. Proudly a cat person, tea and french desserts addicted and specially in love with cinnamon. Deeply crazy about maps and everything travel related, so if you wanna catch my attention, you should know airports will always be my favorite places on earth.