Denim Jean Jacket Wink Patches Eyes
Denim Jean Jacket Wink Patches Eyes
Molly Longest / Her Campus
Style

Agostinho Carrara, Phoebe Buffay & Other Unusual Trendsetters Influencing 2021 Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

After spending a whole year at home and having nowhere to dress up to (other than the supermarket and other minimalist events), many people are finding ways to reinvent themselves through their style. During quarantine, loads of different “aesthetics” emerged inspired from movies, series and TikTok trends. But because we’re not going through normal times, some of these inspirations are rather… unexpected. With that said, here are some unusual trendsetters influencing 2021 fashion for you to keep an eye on:

Agostinho Carrara from A Grande Família

Agostinho Carrara is a well-known character from Brazilian TV sitcom “A Grande Família”. Taxi driver, businessman, politician, ex-con… There’s nothing that the man hasn’t done! While wearing unique combinations such as printed shirts and plaid pants, his sense of fashion was recently compared to Harry Styles’. There’s no doubt that Carrara’s 70’s style would fit well in Alessandro Michele’s Gucci!

Phoebe Buffay from Friends

Aka Regina Phalange or Princess Consuela Bananahammock.

The quirky Friends character is such an underrated fashion icon! Whether she is performing the famous hit song “Smelly Cat” at Central Perk or standing up for what she believes in, one thing is for sure, her wardrobe is never boring. Her 90’s bohemian style matches her witty personality and she’s definitely not afraid of mixing and matching or layering pieces.

Anna Coleman from Freaky Friday

Who’s never been through a rebel phase, am I right? If you’re like me, you too were probably inspired by Disney Channel’s early 2000’s movies like Freaky Friday. Combining band tees, patched denim jackets, chokers, Anna Coleman’s style certainly resembles that of the punk/grunge aesthethic.

Andie Walsh from Pretty In Pink

The clothes that made Andie Walsh an outcast in 80s movie Pretty in Pink would definitely make her not only a fashion icon, but a sustainable one nowadays. Alongside her best friend Duckie, their thrift store style contrasts with the “richies” kids at school, and that’s what makes them so unique. Her looks were very granny-chic and consisted in floral patterns, pearl necklaces, cute cardigans and vintage hats.

Will Smith from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

West Philadelphia born and raised, Will Smith is not the fashion inspo you would expect when talking about Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (Hillary Banks, you’re still our queen, girl), but his vibrant yet casual 90’s style sure is worthy of consideration. His trendy outfits included baggy jeans and overalls, loose graphic T-shirts, brightly colored sweatsuits and lots of sportswear. You’re probably not a stranger to those since quarantine made us all appreciate more some comfortable clothing!

What’s great about these trendsetters is that since their styles come from decades ago, you don’t have to spend too much money trying to recreate them. Shop local, take a trip to thrift stores or even go hunting in your parents’ or grandparents’ closet. In 2021, don’t be afraid to try new things! Go get that haircut you’ve been wanting for so long, try that old dress you have but don’t know how to style, get those boots from the back of your closet. Be bold, be creative and express yourself in whatever way makes you happy. I hope this post has inspired you in some way and that soon we may get dressed up to go out again.

———————————————————————-

The article above was edited by Isabella Gemignani.

Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Casper Libero for more!

Public relations student at Cásper Líbero. Fashion enthusiast, music lover and passionate about learning.