‘80s Fever: 10 Movie References From The ‘80s That You Might Have Missed In Stranger Things Season 3

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

No one can deny the ‘80s fever: movies, tv shows and songs, all inspired in those aesthetically pleasing times. The capitalism industry enjoys the big comeback of this era to explore this past universe. Stranger Things, a popular nowadays series, shows the ‘80s culture, making a huge success between all ages. In the past 4th of July, season 3 came to emphasize more of this aspect that makes the show so successful. Pretty focused in references from movies from that time, Stranger Things production has been inspired in a lot of classics that you probably know, but certainly have missed on the show!

Day of the dead (1985)

The new season begins with a scene where the characters Mike (Finn Wolfhard), Lucas (Caleb McLaughlin), Will (Noah Schnapp) and Max (Sadie Sink) go to the movies, during their summer break. There, we can see the first movie reference, Day of the Dead, launched in 1985, same year the series takes place in.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)

Dustin (Gaten Matarazzo) swears that he has got a girlfriend at the summer camp, where he spent a few weeks at. He also says that Suzie (Gabriella Pizzolo), his girlfriend, is prettier than Phoebe Cates, played by Linda Barretts in “Fast Times at Ridgemont High”. Besides that, the character Billy (Dacre Montgomery), in the first episode of the show, has an iconic scene that is pretty similar to the one in the movie. With red summer shorts, he enters the scene with “Moving in the Stereo”, by The Cars playing in the background, just like Phoebe with her red bikini coming out of the pool.

Star Wars: A New Hope (1977) and Return of The Jedi (1983)

The reference happens when Dustin identifies himself on the radio as “Gold Leader”, the same name used by Dutch in the Yavin battle. In the last episode, Steve (Joe Keery) tells Robin (Maya Hawke) that his favorite movie is “the one with the teddy bears”, clearly referring to the Ewoks of Return of the Jedi.

The Shining (1980)

The first reference is when the character Eleven (Millie Bobby Brown) is looking for Heather (Francesca Reale), the lifeguard, using her powers. Then, a red door appears, just like the classic scene of the blood running in the elevator´s door. Another reference is when Billy tries to attack Max, just like The Shining villain did with his wife. Besides these two, we have a scene of Nancy (Natalia Dyer) and Jonathan (Charlie Heaton) being chased by Bruce (Jake Busey) who breaks a door, put his face there and says: “ Hi, you”.

The Thing (1982)

The mind flayer hates the heat and loves the cold, just like the thing in the John Carpenter movie. Also, a poster of the movie is at Mike´s basement, and Lucas talks about the movie, saying that its remake is like the new version of Coke.

The Terminator (1984)

The Russian murderer is exactly like Arnold Schwarzenegger, in “The Terminator”, from his weapons and his clothes to his look in the eyes and the attitude.

Back to The Future (1985)

In the last episode, Dustin and Erica (Priah Ferguson), desperately search for a refuge in the theater when “Back to The Future” is playing in the background, while the Russians are chasing them.

The Never Ending Story (1984)

With a magical touch, Dustin and Suzie finally show up in the last episode, singing the classic song “Never Ending Story”, from the movie with the same name, while the world is just about to end. The scene became one of the fan’s favorites!

Nicoly Bastos

Casper Libero '22

Student at Casper Líbero who loves writing and hope to help world become a better place with it❤️ Instagram: @nic_bastos
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.