8 Unconventional Money Hacks for Travellers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

I know. You have seen this kind of headline many times, clicked a bit hopeful to read something new and close immediately after coming across with topics you know will not work out to fulfil your dreams of travelling with no money on your bank account. However, this article will deliver real tips for us, college students, to travel abroad with little money.

1. $aveSpare at least 15 per cent of your payments every month on a safe deposit that you can not think of spending, so later on you can gather the amount to use on the trip.

2. Pop some tags 

Pack a great amount of only old and used clothes so you can sell it to thrift shops and buy new ones for a fair price. But first, search for the thrift shops that pay better.

3. Stay in hostels

Do not be afraid of staying in hostels. Besides being cheaper than a proper hotel, there are many low-budget travellers as you trying to save money and they can give you advice on how to pursue this trip without freaking out about numbers. The service may not be as effective, but the difference between prices is unbelievable. There are some hostels that offer free breakfast and free tours. A good reminder is to choose by customers ranking (from 75% above is a good indicator) and to check the prices for a private room if you are in a big group of friends. Ps: there are hostels that charge more on the weekends.

4. Make local friends and take advantage of their knowledge

I know is weird, but there are reliable people out there that want to help and make friends. By making friends, you can get a free tour guide, maybe even rides. They can share the cheapest places to go and which city landmarks are worth to visit. It is good to have the police number of the country and a map with you, though.

5. Don’t waste money on mobile internet

In a world full of technology hacks are you going to waste money on your own web service? Nowadays, there are apps such as Four Square and Yup where people post the passwords for private Wi-Fi connections.

6. Picking flights

If you are really willing to save, then be flexible and choose the longer and with scales, because those tend to be cheaper. If there is an airport closer to downtown in your city, always opt for flights that depart from them, because you will spend less on transport to the airport, the same goes for the destination. A great website for cheap flights is Sky Scanner.

7. Take freelance jobs

If you are in debt after the trip or want to save more money, then get in a freelance groups in social media to gather a bit more reais coming in. A great one for Sao Paulo citizens is Freela SP on Facebook.

8. Know the free dates

Living in Brazil, you may know that there is lots free or discount dates to visit museums, parks or others touristic environments. On that note, you should definitely plan your itinerary based on the sighs you want to visit the most and their free dates. Some venues even offer discount on their official website.

Thaís Monteiro

Casper Libero

Veteran in Casper Libero, majoring in Journalism. Thaís is a libra passionate about São Paulo, married to both Greys Anatomy and Friends, obsessed wiht greek mitology, astrology, reading and singing'n'dancing. I feel so honored to be a part of this team. I hope I meet your expectations.  Feel free to contact me.
Bárbara Muniz

Casper Libero

Bárbara Muniz is a Journalism student and Theather lover. Half journalist, half artist, totally feminist. Hufflepuff placed, sagittarian and vegetarian. Cásper Líbero University's Charpter co-correspondent and editor-in-chief. Intern in a Brazilian broadcast channel called BandNews TV, where she works among production for newscast and social media.