This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Sometimes the two hours of a movie are not enough to contemplate the whole story or to fully know the characters. To explore the universe created, an option is to make a series derived from feature film. So, the writers and the producers can deepen their will in the plot over the seasons.

Thinking about it, we did a selection with eight series that come from movies. Some series have been so successful that no one imagines that it is an adaptation. Check out!

1. Bates Motel

Image Source: IMDb

You may not even know Bates Motel, but you certainly know the movie that originated the series: Psycho, by Alfred Hitchcock. The classic of the 60’s is considered one of the best suspense films in history, but it seems that the production was not enough to deepen the story.

In order for the public to know better Norman Bates and his mother, the work underwent a reformulation and premiered on TV with a new outfit, nowadays. In the series, Norman Bates returns to adolescence, played by Freddie Highmore. He needs to deal with his mother (Vera Farmiga) and the unhealthy relationship he has with her.

2. Westworld

Image Source: HBO

Westworld was successful after HBO launched the series in 2016, but what most people do not know is that the story originated from a movie. Based on the eponymous science fiction, which won the subtitle “Where Nobody Has Soul” (1973) in Brazil, Westworld recounts elaborately the same story covered in the feature film. One company creates an amusement park simulating the old west with robots just like humans. Once there the guests can do anything, even what is considered wrong or immoral.

3. Dear White People

Image Source: Netflix

Like the other productions on the list, Dear White People came from a movie of the same name. The plot follows the lives and issues of four black students from a private U.S. university. Among the main themes of this dramatic comedy are racial interaction and racism. Intriguing and provocative, Dear White People has been adapted for TV by Netflix and is already in the second season.

4. Hannibal

Image Source: IMDb

The Silence of the Lambs conquered the public with the story of Hannibal Lecter, a brilliant psychiatrist and also a violent psychopath who is serving a life sentence for murder and cannibalism. In the Hannibal series, the character is a bit younger than Anthony Hopkins in the film and focuses on the friendship between FBI special investigator, Will Graham, and Dr. Hannibal Lecter, a forensic psychiatrist destined to become Graham’s most astute foe. Unfortunately the series was canceled in 2015, stopping in the third season.

5. Fargo

Image Source: IMDb

Released in 1996, Fargo tells the story of Jerry Lundegaard, a car dealer who has been in debt and is desperate for money. He hires two thugs to kidnap his own wife and his father-in-law helps him pay the ransom. The eponymous series, produced by Netflix, shows the lives of several Minnesota natives involved in various real crimes. Each season has a different character and event, being already in the third season.

6. Teen Wolf

Image Source: IMDb

Even Teen Wolf fans did not realize that the series was derived from a movie. In the story, Michael J. Fox, famous for playing Marty McFly in the trilogy Back To The Future, is the werewolf Scott Howard. When he discovers his supernatural side, he decides to take advantage of his ability to become the hero of the high school basketball team and win the girl’s heart. The series of the same name has a very similar theme, addressing the difficulties of adolescence in the middle of a supernatural scenario. The production came to an end in 2017, the sixth season.

7. Scream

Image Source: IMDb

This horror classic conquered a legion of fans with the Ghost Face storyline and their murders. The plot is so successful that it won a franchise of four films and a series of the same name. The television production is an adaptation of the classic story: a group of teenagers is the target of a series of murders committed by a masked person. Suspense, mystery and trash terror prowl all the episodes, holding you to the end when the killer is revealed.

8. The Exorcist

Image Source: Fox

The Exorcist was consecrated in the history of the cinema like one of the best films of terror and of course that also would gain a series of its own. In the plot, a girl begins to have a very strange and frightening behavior. Her mother asks for help from a priest, who is also a psychiatrist, and he comes to the conclusion that the girl is possessed by the devil. The plot of the series also revolves around demonic possession, but addressing two priests and their fight against evil. The plot carried out by Afonso Herrera, the eternal Miguel Arango, came to an end in 2017 after two seasons.

I'm a Journalism student at Casper Libero University and intend to be a great professional in the field. But while that does not happen, I spend my time writing texts, dreaming of success, gossiping with my friends and watching Netflix. I've lived in São Paulo my whole life, but I can't wait to travel the world. I have a big passion for movies, pop culture, books and pink. If you see me around, talk with me about movie premiere, new series or gossip. What Can I do? I'm Gemini and I can't control my communicative and curious side.
Anna is a 21 year old from Sao Paulo, Brazil, who studies Journalism at Casper Libero University. She’s currently the Editor in Chief of Her Campus CL's Chapter and is pretty obsessed with fashion, beauty and (trashy) reality TV shows.