This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

There are several bookstores that look dreamy for those who love the smell of coffee and new books around the world. In São Paulo couldn’t be different. The city has a lot of special spots for you to spend some good time reading and find nice books. We selected eight of them!

1. Livraria Africanidades

Image Source: Laura Okida

Founded by the librarian Ketty Valencio, Livraria Africanidades is a space reserved to the literature of black authors, specially black women. Its collection contains both national books, from female writers that are less known on the national market, and international ones. The book store’s principal goal is to give more visibility to black women on the writing scenario. Currently, they only sell books in a beauty studio and through their website.

Address: Dom José de Barros Street, 51 – República

Website: livrariafricanidades.com.br

2. Blooks

Image Source: Blooks’ Website

Blooks was created in 2013, mixing the idea of the traditional bookstore with a souvenir store. It is known for having titles about cinema, theater and plastic arts. It also has an entire shelf dedicated to LGBT literature and a catalog filled with rare books that you normally need to order.

Address: Frei Caneca Street, 569, 3º Piso – Consolação.

Website: medium.com/blooks

3. NoveSete

Image Source: NoveSete’s Website

Livraria NoveSete was created in 2007 by the couple Gislene and Jesus and it’s specialized in books for kids. Besides that, it offers free activities for  the children and their families, such as storytelling and workshops. The bookshop is organized in a way that makes it easier for children to look around, counting with spots to sit and read. It also has a little coffee place and a big garden, what makes this bookstore even better.

Address: França Pinto Street, 97 – Vila Mariana.

Website: livrarianovesete.com.br

4. Zaccara

Image Source: Livraria Zaccara’s Website

Livraria Zaccara was created 36 years ago, in 1982, it used to be vinyl shop and, but with time, became a bookstore too. In the garden you can spend hours reading books, and on the upper floor you can participate in workshops, book clubs and debates about various themes that are organized by the only workers – the owners – the couple Cris and Lúcio Zaccara. The place also counts with a small coffee shop, that offers espressos and cakes.

Address: Cardoso de Almeida Street, 1356 – Perdizes.

Website: livrariazaccara.com

5. Livraria da Vila

Image Source: Livraria da Vila’s Facebook

Situated on a very famous address in São Paulo, Livraria da Vila is popular because of its cultural events and decoration. Founded in 1985, in Vila Madalena, the bookstore is specialized in books and DVDs, besides offering debates, courses, book launches, pocket shows and other activities.

Address: Fradique Coutinho Street, 915 – Pinheiros 

Website: livrariadavila.com.br

6. Flanarte

Image Source: Flanarte’s Website

Flanarte was created in 2005 already being different from other bookshops in São Paulo. Flâneur is the person that walks around to experience the city in a way that the normal observer wouldn’t do. The name Art(e) was chosen because the bookstore cares a lot about having the best books about literature, human science and art, focusing on poetry, cinema, music, classic literature, theater, history and philosophy.

Address: Sete de Abril Street, 264 – Centro.

Website: flanarte.com

7. Suburbano Convicto

Image Source: Suburbano Convicto’s Website

Created by the writer Alessandro Buzo in 2007, Livraria Suburbano Convicto was firstly located in Itaim Paulista. But, after seven years, it was transferred to its current location in Bela Vista, getting closer to the customers. The bookstore is specialized in marginal literature with peripheral authors from every outskirt of the country. It also offers various activities, such as debates and book launches. Besides than physically buying at the store, you can order books through the website.

Address: Treze de Maio Street, 70, 2° Andar – Bela Vista.

Website: livrariasuburbanoconvicto.blogspot.com

8. Livraria Devir

Image Source: Devir’s Facebook

Specialized in translations and adaptations, this bookstore focuses on the so-called smart entertainment: collectible card games, RPG and strategy games, miniatures, and since they are a part of this article about bookstores, books and hqs. Devir was created in 1987 and focuses on fictional universes, bringing cultural movements from all around the world to Brazil – they are also a part of the market on Spain, Portugal and the rest of Latin America – making them more accessible to the public.

Address: Teodureto Souto Street, 624 – Cambuci.

Website: devir.com.br

Laura Okida

Casper Libero '21

Journalist. Music, series, books, pop culture, in no particular order.
18 year-old studying journalism. Storyteller. Eats way too much french fries.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.