8 Apps, Sites and Programs that Are SO Worth it

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Evernote

I always used Evernote for note taking in my job, the fact that it keeps everything in one place without having to open a new word doc (every single day) and saving it in a new folder is wonderful. Evernote does all that for you and it also has a pdf system, where you can write comments, highlight texts in different colors and even put stickers. Besides, the premium version offers you 10 GB per month to save documents (in comparison to that miser 15 GB gmail offers for free). Another great thing is that it syncs your notes with every gadget you own, either cellphone, Ipad, computer or you can even open the program through its online version. 

Pillow

How many hours a day do I need to maximize my work? Basically as a control/efficience freak (and taurean) I need at least 6 hours of sleep per day to keep with a mediocre work pace and 8 hours to work properly. With a full time student/intern schedule it is hard to keep up with these hours or see if you are actually sleeping well, even with these 8 hours. Pillow not only provides your sleep cycle every night (yep, it tracks everything), but also gives you a percentage of each sleep stage and the quality of your sleep. For instance, in more than 300 nights that I used the app, my average sleep is 7 hours and the quality is around 77%.    

PiktoChart

If you are not a Photoshop/Indesign/Illustrator expert, you can still do some pretty great work with Piktochart. With a intuitive and easy format, the site offers you plenty of templates, ideas and examples to do presentations, infographics or anything visual. The premium version has more insights, but the free version is very useful as well. 

Tableau

Tableau is the Mathematics, Data and Engineering dream program for infographics. It’s not 100% easy, but with a few minutes you can start figuring out how it works and what great graphics you can design with its help. One of the best assets, in my opinion, is the geolocation graphic. 

ETUS

Etus is a program specially designed for social media analysts and programmers. Its core capacity is to schedule posts in Instagram, Facebook and Twitter (it can be in all three sites at once). As our world is devoted and moved mostly by social media presence, the program is awesome if you are short on time and still want to maxime your posts. 

Google Trends

The name is a little self-explanatory. Google trends is developed to help you with search statistics. For instance, is it better to use the word “heels” or “shoes” in an article? Which one is more used? Or even better, if you are doing a research on something, you can get an insight on how much people look for that and if there is a research pattern, a place where it is more researched and other myriad of possibilities. 

Spotify

I really thought about leaving Spotify out of this list, as it is similar to Netflix – almost everyone now has one or at least has access to a premium account – but my love for the program cannot be measured. Spotify is smart, simple and outstanding when it comes to picking up your music taste, organizing your library, setting up new playlists and findings ones that will fit your style. You can also have it in your work computer, personal computer, cellphone….

Timewarp

It is actually a google chrome extension used if you are a huge procrastinator and spends time on Facebook instead of doing real work. Basically, you set up all distracting websites and create a redirect link, so if you type facebook while working, it will redirect you to another website or present you with a personalized quote, like “please, finish your work first”. Moreover, you can also set a timer for these websites, so once you are done, it will enable all sites. 

Momentum

Another Chrome extension. Momentum is a wallpaper installed everytime a new tab is open. It tells you the time, it has amazing photographs and you can even add a to do list and check the itens out. For me, its greatest asset is the aesthetic look.

Alana Claro

Casper Libero '17

Alana is a Senior in Cásper Líbero University, majoring in Journalism. She is President of Casper Libero's Chapter and an intern in a Corporate Communications firm. Born and raised in Sao Paulo, where she speaks Portuguese, although English is her ever-lasting love. Alana is a proud Slytherin and INTJ.