Trail Mix
Trail Mix
Christin Urso / Spoon

7 Typical Food Of June Fest: The Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

In June, the “Festas Juninas” (June Fest), a very traditional party in Brazil, begins. Also known as the festivity of Saint John the Baptist, it was originated in Europe as a pagan festivity, commemorating the fertility of the land and good harvests.

The typical cuisine of the “Festas Juninas” uses local ingredients and consists of dishes made for the festivities of veneration to Saint John the Baptist, Saint Anthony of Padua and Saint Peter, all in June. As the month of June is the time of the corn harvest, most of the sweets, cakes and snacks related to the festivities are made with this food, such as “canjica”, “curau” and “pamonha”, for example. Depending on the region where it is held, the cuisine may have a peculiar character. 

If you want to know more about the cuisine that is part of the “Festas Juninas” and how to prepare this food, check out this guide of 7 typical food of June Fest!

Arroz doce

The “arroz doce”, known in English as rice pudding, is a dish made of rice cooked in milk and sugar, seasoned with lemon peel, cinnamon sticks, orange blossom water, cloves and in general sprinkled with cinnamon. It is a popular food in all places where rice is known, as ancient texts on the Buddha’s life testifies.

Maçã do amor

Known in English as candy apples and love apples, they are sweets made from whole apples skewered on sticks and dipped in sugar syrup, usually mixed with red food coloring, such as aniline oil. The candy represents the loving union between couples and, in some places, it represents the affection between friends. Because of that, it is common to give them as gifts, even if out of season.

Canjica

The “canjica” or “mungunzá” is a sweet dish made from lightly crushed white or yellow corn kernels, cooked in a broth containing coconut or cow’s milk, sugar, powdered or peeled cinnamon and cloves. It is common in several parts of Brazil, having different denominations and preparations. There are even two salty versions: one with corn and another with corn and beans found in the south of Ceará and west of the states of Paraíba, Pernambuco and Rio Grande do Norte, which takes ingredients similar to those of “feijoada”.

Cocada

“Cocada” is a coconut-based sweet, traditional in several regions of the world, especially in Latin America and Angola. There are variations regarding the recipe applied in different countries, such as the use of egg yolks, milk, condensed milk, brown sugar, peanuts, coconut milk and burnt grated coconut. To give different flavors to the coconut, pulps or fruit juices can be added.

Quentão

Known in English as mulled wine, it is a hot drink of European origin made with red wine and spices. It is a typical alcoholic drink, although there are versions without alcohol. In European countries it is traditionally drunk during the winter and is often associated with Christmas festivities. 

Pamonha 

“Pamonha” is a Brazilian dish, common in the states of the Northeast and also in Goiás, Mato Grosso, Minas Gerais, Paraná, São Paulo and Tocantins. Its name comes from the word tupi “pa’muñã”, which means “sticky”. The common way of preparing it, includes as ingredients: the green corn, milk (or coconut milk), salt (or sugar), butter, cinnamon and fennel.

Pé de moleque

“Pé de moleque” is a sweet typical of Brazilian cuisine, made from a mixture of roasted peanuts, milk and sugar syrup. The sweet appeared in the middle of the 16th century, with the arrival of sugarcane in Brazil.

——————————————-

The article above was edited by Yasmin Altaras.  

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Maria Cunha

Casper Libero '23

Journalism student, passionate about cinema and theater. I love my family more than anything in the world and I am grateful to God every day for it. São Paulo and soccer fan. Enthusiast of reality shows and soap operas. ????
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.