7 Songs That Will Inspire You To Fight Against Sexism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

With no doubt we can say that 2018 has been a very important year when it comes to women’s rights. As a tribute to women and their incredible achievements – not only in 2018 but since ever –  Her Campus chose seven songs, and some lyrics from them, that will inspire you to fight against sexism.

1. God Is A Woman – Ariana Grande

Image Credit: Ariana Grande Vevo

The second single from (probably) one of the most anticipated albums of the year – Sweetener – is basically a homage to women. The music video directed by Dave Meyers is very artistic and embodies many references such as  the biblical Garden of Eden and the Tarantino movie, Pulp Fiction (1995). This song is all about female empowerment, through sex – the source of life, as Ariana tweeted – and through independence and knowledge of what they want.

Lyrics: “When you try to come for me, I keep on flourishing”

2. Run The World (Girls) – Beyoncé

Image Credit: iTunes

It’s important to note that this song was written and produced mainly by males, but Beyoncé said that she loved the song because it was a mixture between different cultures and eras, creating a new sound, while having a message that would give women strength, reminding them how powerful they are. One of the most popular feminist songs, Run The World (Girls) was first released in 2011 and received a lot of criticism, especially because of its supposed aggressiveness, but despite of that, the song did very well on the charts.

Lyrics: “I’m rapping for the girls who’re taking over the world”

3. Salute – Little Mix

Image Credit: Wikipedia

From Little Mix’s second album, Salute was released in 2013 and is a song about women fighting for themselves and for each other. At the same time, it’s not about being anti-men, but about letting everyone know that women are great fighters, bringing the idea that we need to stand be unite as women and be who we want to be.

Lyrics: “It’s who we are, we don’t need no camouflage”

4. Sisters Are Doin’ It for Themselves – Eurythmics & Aretha Franklin

Image Credit: Mouche Gallery

Released in 1985, the song was supposed to have Tina Turner’s vocals in it, but since she wasn’t available they asked Aretha and, luckily, she agreed. This song  was a part of two albums, Be Yourself Tonight, by Eurythmics and Who’s Zoomin’ Who?, by Aretha Franklin. It was written as a pop song that could be played on the radio but at the same time was a feminist anthem.

Lyrics: “So we’re coming out of the kitchen, cause there’s something we forgot to say to you”

5. Q.U.E.E.N. – Janelle Monáe & Erykah Badu

Image Credit: Kyss My Hair

Monáe tweeted saying that this song is supposed to make you dance first and dialogue later. It was inspired by particular conversations between her and Erykah Badu when they shared some of the issues they face as black women. The lead single from the album The Electric Lady (2013) talks about diverse subjects ranging from sexuality to religion. The entire album talks about empowerment of women and this song focuses on the empowerment of oppressed and marginalized groups. The title is an acronym that stands for Queer, Untouchables, Emigrants, Excommunicated, and Negroid. (Q.U.E.E.N)

Lyrics: “Even if it makes others uncomfortable, I will love who I am”

6. You Don’t Own Me – Lesley Gore

Image Credit: The Telegraph

When she was only seventeen years old, the openly lesbian singer Lesley Gore released a feminist anthem in 1963. You Don’t Own Me is about telling men that they can’t treat us like an object and put us on display like prized possessions. It’s about letting men know that women can and will do whatever they want and be whoever they want to be. This song is even, sometimes, considered to be  one of the factors that inspired the second wave of the feminist movement, that began in the 60’s and finished during the 80’s.

Lyrics: “I’m free and I love to be free, to live my life the way I want”

7. Sit Still, Look Pretty – Daya​

Image Credit: Wikipedia

Featured in Daya’s debut EP and album, both named Daya (2018), this song basically says that women can and will do better things in life than just sit still and watch life pass by their eyes. We are strong, powerful and can do whatever we put our minds to, without changing who we are for someone else. Daya affirmed, in an interview for Entertainment Weekly, that “It’s important for young girls to know that they don’t have to act a certain way or depend on someone for happiness”.

Lyrics: “But I don’t wanna be the puppet that you’re playing on a string. This queen don’t need a king”

Laura Okida

Casper Libero '21

Journalist. Music, series, books, pop culture, in no particular order.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.