7 Reasons For You to Delight With the Little Mermaid Musical

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Unsurprisingly, animations of the Walt Disney Studios have the power to enchant and thrill adults and children. Imagine these animations being told through a Broadway musical. Now, can you image this in Brazil?

Yes, that’s right. After the roaring success of The Lion King, it’s time for the Broadway musical The Little Mermaid to be adapted in our country. The film was released in 1989 and debuted on Broadway in 2008, being nominated for two categories of the Tony Awards.

The Brazilian musical debuted on March 30, at the Santander Theatre, in São Paulo, and promises to thrill the audience. Below, we selected some reasons why you should go watch the show.

Image Credit: Reproduction

7 reasons to watch the Brazilian Little Mermaid musical

1. Story

Only the story of The Little Mermaid should be a reason enough to go see the musical. The Walt Disney classic production portrays the life of Ariel, a mermaid stubborn and with true passion for the human world. The mermaid falls in love with Prince Eric, a human, and she must face several obstacles imposed by the sea witch to stay close to her loved one. After suffering a lot with Ursula, love speaks stronger and they can live happily ever after. A beautiful story of love and overcoming.

2. Scenario

The setting of the musical promises to transport the audience into the bottom of the sea, in addition to containing huge objects like King Triton shell and Eric’s boat. And amazingly, during the show, there are 28 scene changes.

3. Songs

The classic animation features lovely songs as Part Of Your World, Under The Sea and Kiss The Girl. In the Broadway show, the audience can hear these songs live and, in addition, some lyrics have undergone little modifications to enchant the audience again.

4. Brazilian Culture

This is the first time Disney authorizes an overproduction in our country without having to be faithful to the American version. The producers of the show used this to in their advantage and put up several references of our culture. Some examples are references to the Amazonia on the stage, some characters with Northeastern accent and some songs played in a rhythm that resembles our samba.

5. Cast

The cast of the musical is a show apart. The show counts with Tiago Abravanel representing the fun crab Sebastião. Fabi Bang, who was a success in the musical Wicked, is the princess Ariel. The two have lots of scenes together and are a guarantee of fun.

6. Costume

The costume used in the musical is also a show apart. The stylists have managed to create the mermaid tail that ensures lightness and fluidity for the actress to simulate the dives at sea. We also see other beautiful clothes to represent marine animals.

7. Emotion guaranteed

Despite being a classic movie, from the year 1989, history is always able to thrill. If you think you’ve seen The Little Mermaid and you don’t need to watch the show, forget it. The musical touches everyone as if it were the first time. And anyone who thinks that this kind of story is only for children is mistaken. Adults can also have fun and be thrilled with this fairy tale that never goes out of style.

The Little Mermaid musical is on display until July 29, at the Santander Theatre.

• Price: From R$ 75 to R$ 280
  • Days and Times: Thursdays and Fridays, 9 pm / Saturdays, 4 pm and 8 pm / Sundays, 3 pm and 7 pm
  • Santander Theatre: Presidente Juscelino Kubitschek Avenue, 2041
Anna is a 21 year old from Sao Paulo, Brazil, who studies Journalism at Casper Libero University. She’s currently the Editor in Chief of Her Campus CL's Chapter and is pretty obsessed with fashion, beauty and (trashy) reality TV shows.