7 Reasons Why You Should Be Reading ‘A Court Of Thorns and Roses’ Series

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

A Court of Thorns and Roses is a book series made of three books so far. They are written by the amazing YA author Sarah J. Maas, known for writing the equally awesome Throne of Glass series. These books are set in a post-war world where there are humans and faeries, but they live separately: while the faeries are rich, the humans live in poverty. One girl, Feyre, finds herself exploring the lands of the faeries, obviously getting herself and her family into some trouble while doing so. Here are 7 reasons why you should be reading them.

They are a New York Times Best Seller

Okay, let’s start simple. They are very good books. Sarah J. Maas manages to create a very well written scenario with complex characters and plotlines. Plus, they are extremely addictive, I read the whole series in two weeks – and they are very long books.

There are strong women

Not only there’s a very strong and complex female protagonist, Feyre, there are also multiple important and as strong female characters. Their stories are captivating and they are developed really well by Mass. It is so empowering to see such complex and interesting female characters in fantasy books, especially ones for young adults. The other characters are well-written as well and pretty interesting. And intriguing. I don’t want to give too much away, but I can guarantee you’re going to fall in love with some of these characters.

They’re set in an amazing universe

Sarah J. Mass once again creates a compelling and interesting universe. It has depth and range and an fascinating mythology. It’s not easy to create a fantasy world, but Mass does it with ease. The environment she’s created offers many stories and places for Feyre, and us, to explore. The creatures and the magic in there are very entertaining, plus they are the foundation where the series is set, which means it is a good one.

There’s love…

I’m going to be honest with you, the relationships developed in these books are by far one of my favorites ever. They are real, funny and interesting. Also, pretty sexy. Within the mythology in this story, the relationships have such a strong meaning and connection, which is why I really loved reading about them, and I bet you’re going to as well.

And there’s action

Love isn’t enough for a powerful woman like Feyre. She goes after what she wants and when we meet her, that is to explore some of the faerie land, where she’s going to run into some trouble. The novels balance perfectly action, romance, wit and suspence. I know you are going to be laughing, crying, gasping and screaming multiple times while reading them. At least, I did so.

It’s a modern version of Beauty and the Beast

When she gets to the faerie part of the world, Feyre meets Tamlin, a fae who, at first, isn’t very happy with the intruder. Their relationship is loosely based on the Beauty and the Beast, but of course with a lot more twists and turns. As for the other novels, you can see some similarities to the Hades and Persephone tale, from  Greek Mythology and to Hansel and Gretel.

It’s about family

In the books, you can see complicatedly real family relationships and strong friendship bonds. And at the end of the day, Feyre’s story is all about family and friendship and who is going to be there for her.

Bonus reason: Reading is a great way to keep yourself entertained while doing your part and self isolating.

Okay, and one last thing before we wrap this up, I recommend not reading too much about what happens in the books – like I do – before reading them. The plot twists are way too awesome. Because of that, I couldn’t give all the reasons I wanted to, If I did, there would be a whole lot more, but I don’t wanna give you spoilers and ruin your experience. You’re gonna have to trust me on this: go read these books and get ready for a wild ride.

—————————————-

Like this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Mariana is a fourth-year Journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University. She moved to Toronto from São Paulo, Brazil in 2021. Her favourite hobby is watching shows and movies and then spending hours researching, thinking and writing about them.
cuore in allarme journalist, writer, artist and everything else in between ✉ laurapferrazzano@gmail.com