7 Must-Know Companies That are Cruelty-Free

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

It is a fact that people are increasingly opting for beauty products without ingredients of animal origin or that don’t compromise with suffering and exploitation. But first of all, what is a cruelty-free product? 

It’s important to understand that the expression implies that the product was not tested on animals, but this doesn’t mean it is vegan, it might contain some animal-derived ingredients or by-products. To check if the product was not actually made with animal abuse on testing, make sure it has the cruelty-free seal. There are a lot of organizations such as Cruelty-Free International, Leaping Bunny, Peta Approved and Choose Cruelty-Free that offer this label to companies that want to certify to their customers that their products are 100% cruelty-free. To make it even easier for you, here are some tips on the best cruelty-free brands and companies!

Seventh Generation

With plant-based products, the company is on a mission to transform the world into a “healthy, sustainable & equitable place for the next seven generations”. The brand is cruelty-free and even has recycled packaging! 

Beauty Without Cruelty

It was in 1963 that the trustees of BWC Charitable Trust founded the company  Beauty Without Cruelty. The animal welfare organization decided to manufacture and distribute cosmetics that were not tested on animals and didn’t even contain any animal ingredients!

The Body Shop

A company that you might know (and love) is The Body Shop. Recently, the brand has confirmed that they no longer do animal testing at any point of their production, as well as their parent company, Natura. It’s now 100% Free. The Bunnies approved!

The Beauty Blender

Did you know that the very famous brand Beauty Blender is 100% cruelty-free? The company has confirmed that they don’t test on animals during the production of any of their products. They also don’t sell their products where animal testing is required by law!

Kiss My Face

With the goal to make powerfully effective products for body, hair and face from our nature’s best ingredients in a healthy and sustainable way, Kiss My Face was founded over 35 years ago on a 200 acre organic farm in New York. Nowadays they work with not only cruelty-free but also vegan products!

Weleda

Working with medicinal plants since 1921, Weleda is a worldwide manufacturer of holistic products. They use natural ingredients proposing a different way of taking care of yourself, with the intention to reach a physical well-being and a balanced lifestyle.

Lush

Another very common brand is Lush, and they are now using vegetarian ingredients and adhering to a strict anti-animal testing policy. They are committed to never test their finished products on animals or buy ingredients from suppliers that do animal tests either.

If you are worried about not being part of the animal exploitation, always search for more informations about the companies that you are interested in, because many brands might try to mislead us by publishing incomplete animal testing policies or using clever and hard to understand wording! 

Giovanna Favero

Casper Libero '21

Journalism student from Sao Paulo, Brazil. Constantly finding herself, telling stories and fighting for a better and equal world.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.