books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

7 Charming Bookstores Around The World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Going to the bookstore is already a unique experience for those who are passionate about literature, but there are some establishments that also win the hearts of those who love history and architecture. These places have such great beauty that they have become tourist spots.

They are perfect bookstores for those who like literature or just enjoy the lovely architecture. No need to buy anything, just the place is already worth the visit. That’s why Her Campus has separated the most charming bookstores around the world.

1. El Ateneo Grand Splendid – Buenos Aires, Argentina

Image Source: Ingrid Truemper/Creative Commons/Flickr

It’s one of the best-known bookstores in Buenos Aires. It was opened as a theater in 1919. In the late 1920s, the theater was converted into a cinema and In 2000 shelves with thousands of books occupied the place.

Impossible not to be enchanted.

2. Barter Books – Alnwick, United Kingdom

Image Source: Bookstore’s Instagram

The bookstore is located in an old train station and was opened in 1991. Its architecture refers to past times giving visitors an air of pure nostalgia.

A must stop for those who visit the city, and also, the place can give beautiful photos to the visitors.

3. Boekhandel Selexyz Dominicanen – Maastricht, Netherlands

Image Source: Bookstore’s Website

This bookstore was originally a Dominican Church, built in 1924. After the books sheltered its shelves, the place was considered the most beautiful bookstore in the world by the British newspaper The Guardian.

There is no denying that Boekhandel Selexyz Dominicanen deserves the title.

4. The Cook & Book – Brussels, Belgium

Image Source: Bookstore’s Website

This bookstore, besides being huge, also works as a restaurant. The place is divided into nine themed parts and the decoration varies according to each theme. In all environments there are tables and chairs to enjoy a good meal while reading your favorite book.

Look at these books hanging from the ceiling, are not they the most beautiful thing?

5. Lello & Irmão – Porto, Portugal

Image Source: Bookstore’s Instagram

The bookstore is one of the most famous in the city, but not only for its incredible architecture. The establishment also served as inspiration for writer JK Rowling as she was beginning to write Harry Potter. Lello & Irmão inspired the place where Hogwarts students buy their books annually.

And that’s what made the bookstore start attracting thousands of tourists every year. On the outside, the facade already attracts attention, but inside the experience is even more magical.

It’s impossible not to stop to enjoy this beauty and take beautiful photos.

6. Livraria Cultura – São Paulo, Brazil

Image Source: Bookstore’s Website

Livraria Cultura was founded in 1947 and is one of the most visited in the country. Located in the heart of São Paulo, the store attracts thousands of tourists who delight in its beauty.

The establishment has a huge space and has a large number of books, cds, dvds and games. In addition, it has a super fun and interactive space for children.

It is possible to spend hours there as if there were no tomorrow.

7. Bookworm – Beijing, China

Image Source: Bookstore’s Website

In addition to bookstore, Bookworm also functions as a restaurant. Although it is far, the place is worth a visit.

It’s best to visit the place at night because of the hanging candles that leave the environment much more beautiful and intimate.

Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.