#6 Tips To Have A Plastic Free Way Of Life

Millennials make up around 30% of the world’s population and are arguably the most concerned generation when it comes to environmental sustainability and social issues.

They are the first generation to have grown up in a world where “climate change is part of the daily international dialogue”. Whilst every generation has certainly had their risks and threats, millennials have been forced to face the realities of extreme weather patterns, sea level rises, rapidly increasing GMO agriculture and species extinction, among others

This reality has created a generation of people who desire sustainability in mainstream culture. A generation where many feels as though they have no choice but to be actively engaged to drive change.

Changing habits to have a plastic free way of life is one of the goals of this eco-friendly group of people, but do you know where this movement come from? 

Ok, first things first. Scientists estimates that there is more than 5 trillion of pieces of plastic floating in the sea, and it gets worse: another 8 million tons of plastic are dumped in the ocean every single year, like plastic bottles, packages and other plastic waste carried by rivers and rain. Which means that almost every piece of plastic that has ever been made at some point remains on Earth yet. Considering this concerning information based on research, in 2011, the "Earth Carers Waste Education Team" created the Plastic Free July campaign, in Australia. The main idea was to reduce the use of plastic in daily routines in the month of July. However, the movement provides a variety of information on the disposal of different types of waste, whether recyclable or organic and, due to its importance, is now a yearly movement. But what is Plastic Free movement based on? Easy peasy! They stablish some actions that we can change to produce and disposal less plastic in the oceans. Check bellow if you are already changing your habits. If you are not, do not worry, it is never too late to start!

BYO bag

Always take your own shopping bags to the supermarket or shops. These do not have to be the canvas, environmentally friendly kind if you do not have any. Even just reusing plastic bags from your own kitchen cupboard can still help to reduce waste.

Use a thermos!

If you regularly find yourself buying takeaway coffee – during the pandemic this might have reduced but this tip is set – take your own clean thermos and avoid adding to the Styrofoam and plastic-lined cardboard rubbish pile. Cafe businesses usually appreciate not having to buy their own cups to hand out, and the environment appreciates being cared for.

Do not buy fruit and veggies wrapped in plastic!

Like buying packaged food in bulk, avoid buying pre-packed or pre-weighed fruits and veggies. You know the kind – cling wrapped bananas on foam trays and the like – unnecessary and wasteful. Instead, choose from the loose section and put them straight in the fruit basket or fridge when you get home.

Buy refills

Rather than buying a new product each time, start buying refills for your cleaning supplies. If you use one spray bottle a month then that is 12 spray heads a year that you do not need. Reuse your spray head wherever possible! This also applies to laundry detergents and fabric softeners.

Carry reusable utensils and glass drinking straws

Keep a To-Go-Ware bamboo utensil set and a couple of  straws in my purse at all times. You can carry bamboo straws or a bamboo toothbrush when sleeping at a different place than your house.

Prefer Shampoo bars than liquid ones in plastic package

Shower and cosmetic brands are already producing solid shampoo and conditioners to become even more eco-friendly. Some shower products include solid shampoo, conditioner, and body wash designed to be suitable for all hair and skin types. Each bar is entirely plastic-free, with recycled-paper and soy-based-ink packaging that can be re-recycled at home.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The article above was edited by Beatriz Cristina.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Julia Maciel

Casper Libero '24

Writting to provide knowledge. Knowledge changes the world. You can change the world. Majoring in Journalism at Cásper Líbero. Instagram: @juubritom