This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Who doesn’t love spending two hours scared to death, taking several jumpscares, and ending up not being able to sleep for days? Well, I don’t… If you love horror movies like me, but you’re not that brave, this list is for you! Her Campus Casper Libero selected six not-so-scary movies for you to watch – because sometimes it’s fun to feel the adrenaline of danger, without dying of fright halfway… Let’s start the horror marathon!

“The Witch” (2015)

New England, 1630. A family of pilgrims finds their new home near a forest. But everything changes when the younger brother disappears and they become suspicious of witchcraft. This thriller is not the type with lots of jumpscares and scenes of bloody violence. It subtly addresses themes and symbologies, without taking away the “tension factor”. Besides, the main actress is Anya Taylor-Joy, from “The Queen’s Gambit”, which is also a bonus!

“It” (2017)

If you are afraid of clowns, I strongly recommend that you skip this indication. But if that is not a problem for you, this movie is super worth it. The script manages to balance scary moments with funny dialogues, which relieves the tension a little. Another factor that helps is that the main characters are children which creates an almost fantastic atmosphere, somehow preventing fear from becoming too much real.

“Happy Death Day” (2017)

An unfriendly college girl is brutally murdered on her birthday. However, she “survives“, or rather wakes up in the morning of the same day as if nothing had happened, in a kind of macabre loop that always ends in the girl’s death. The film has a very 90s adolescent sense of horror. The death scenes are violent but in a deliberately crude way. You may get a scare or two, but the movie clearly has no intention of leaving you without sleep at night. For those who like something more fun and almost trash: bet on this one!

“Get Out” (2017)

The plot of the film is built to make you paranoid all the time. Despite this, the story is so interesting and well constructed that fear is no longer the main thing. You want to understand what’s going on and you end up taking some scares along the way — but nothing that will haunt you for the rest of your life. Oh, and there are some scenes of strong violence, so be aware if this is not your cup of tea…

“The Purge” (2013)

At first, the masks worn by the villains are a little scared, but you get used to them. The scenes of violence are so brutal and violent, they end up becoming absurd. It’s not that the movie will not scare you, but as the plot develops you realize its rhythm, and the fear decreases to a point that you can finish the movie without major problems.

“Saw” (2004)

Author’s note: I have to admit that I put this movie on the list, because it was the first horror film I have ever seen in my life — and if a fearful 10-year-old child survived, you can do it too! Besides, the plot is very good, it holds you all the time and also has a plot twist that will surprise anyone in the end. The script definitely makes up for the fear. After all, what are some nightmares right?

Let’s face it, everyone likes the adrenaline rush that horror movies provoke, we just don’t want them to give us a heart attack. So, turn on all the lights in the house, get your security blanket and let’s binge-watch this list! We promise that you will survive.

—————————————————————–

The article above was edited by Helena Cardoso.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero’s home page for more!

Fernanda Valente

Casper Libero '21

Jornalist fernanda.dg.valente@gmail.com