6 Documentaries about Famous Women on Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Throw the first stone who never unmarked off commitment because stayed that laziness to leave and decided to stay at home to watch a movie from Netflix. And it’s for these days that we have a special selection of six famous women’s documentaries to get you inspired – and thrilled!  

Amy (2015)

Image source: Billboard

Directed by Asif Kapadia and winner of the Best Documentary category at the 2016 Oscar, the two-hour production features home videos provided by the family of the English singer, who died in 2011 at the age of 27. The documentary portrays Amy’s life between adolescence and fame, showing her strong personality and raising questions such as fame, family, privacy and dependency.

Bettie Page Reveals All (2012)

Image source: Pinterest

Bettie was an American model who was very successful in the 1950s, considered the Queen of Pin-Ups, with striking references to the style as the fringe and her ability to make a poses and make faces. The film brings together conversations with artists like Dita Von Teese, photographers of the 70’s, ex-husbands and audio testimonies of Betty herself to reassemble its history and its consecration as a figure of pop culture.

Love, Marylin (2012)

Image source: Pinterest

Almost 50 years after his death, completed in August 2012, were found two boxes with documents, diaries, poems and letters written by Marilyn Monroe. Based on the roles found, director Liz Garbus built the documentary Love, Marilyn. Her thoughts are played by actresses like Glenn Close, Viola Davis, Evan Rachel Wood and Lindsay Lohan. The personal notes of this iconic movie diva show a new side of the actress, persevering and studious, who became a prisoner of the very character she created.

Beyoncé: Life Is But a Dream (2013)  

Image source: Beyonce.com

In this documentary, it is possible to get in touch with the more personal side of the singer who dominates the pop world, full of attitude, feminist and determined. Directed, produced and starred by Beyoncé herself, it was recorded during the years 2011 and 2012 showing from intimate moments of her pregnancy, the backstage and rehearsals of the concert Revel Presents: Beyoncé Live.

What Happened, Miss Simone? (2015)

Image source: Pinterest

She was one of Amy Winehouse’s greatest inspirations, not only musical but personal. Liz Garbus’s documentary was also nominated for the 2016 Oscar. Nina, one of the legends of American music, has been told in full from childhood to death in 2003. She was a strong, independent and a peculiar woman who used his art to fight against racism and in favor of basic human rights.

Gaga: Five Foot Two (2017)

Image source: People.com

Released in September 2017, the documentary directed by Chris Moukarbel reveals a vulnerable Lady Gaga, “clean”, without makeup and all the daring clothes that marked his career. Filled with intimate moments and closely displaying the singer’s illness, which suffers from fibromyalgia (chronic disorder that causes constant and intense pain throughout the body), the movie is a full plate to thrill fans.

With all this documentaries, we bet you’ll not have time to leave your house. Which one you’ll gonna watch first?

Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.