6 curious facts about Tomorrowland, the world’s biggest electronic music festival 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Get ready to discover a world of electronic music full of fascinating curiosities! Tomorrowland, the largest electronic music festival on the planet, has much more in store than electrifying beats and renowned artists. Besides magical scenery and a vibrant atmosphere, the event hides secrets that make it even more special. We’ve put together six interesting facts about Tomorrowland, so get ready to dive into an electronic universe that goes beyond music. 

What is Tomorrowland?

Tomorrowland is a renowned electronic music festival that stands out not only for its music, but also for its atmosphere of magic, friendship, technology and inclusion. It all started when Belgian brothers Manu and Michiel Beer decided to turn the town of Boom in Belgium into a fairytale kingdom. 

In 2005, the first edition of the festival took place in Boom, attracting around 10,000 people. Over the years, the festival has grown to become the largest electronic music festival in the world. 

There’s much more than enjoying the show

Within the festival there are various activities, such as a gym, beauty salon, restaurant, library, among others. The library has a room with armchairs  and more than 3,000 books so you can spend time reading in the best way. It’s a place that everyone can enjoy, from party goers to intellectuals, all to break down stereotypes.

“Disney of global music”

The initial idea was for the atmosphere of the festival to be Disney-like, as the Beer brothers dreamed that the festival would have fantastical, surreal aspects, just like Disney World. 

The creators’ dream came true, and today, many call Tomorrowland the “Disney of global music”, a magical place with stages, costumed people, characters, lots of decorations and bright colors.

The festival’s motto is always a life lesson

The phrase that has accompanied the festival since its inception is “Yesterday is a history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift”. This motto is the festival’s philosophy, which promotes the idea of living intensely in the present, loving and caring for the future and uniting people from all over the world around culture and music. This year, Tomorrowland Brazil will be called “The Reflection of Love”.

A festival against drugs  

Among Tomorrowland 2023 house rules there’s a topic enforcing that the use of drugs and other substances is prohibited inside the venue, and there’s zero tolerance about it. Rumors of total freedom to consume illicit products have led the organization to tighten up searches, even using sniffer dogs in some editions. If you’re caught, you’re thrown out and you won’t come back. 

tomorrowland outside begium  

The festival has grown so much that in 2013 it expanded its borders and has now been held in Brazil, the United States, France, Spain and the Netherlands. The history of Tomorrowland is constantly being written and now a new chapter will take place in Brazil, in the city of Itu, on October 12, 13 and 14.

—————————————

The article above was edited by Isadora Noronha Pereira.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Cásper Líbero for more!

👯‍♀️ Related: Hot Take: Brazilian Festivals Are Turning Into Elitist Events
A journalism student who loves sports, traveling and music.