Hot Take: Brazilian Festivals Are Turning Into Elitist Events

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

“Come to Brazil” is a common expression that Brazilian fans use to invite their favorite celebrities to make concerts or play at music festivals in the country. However, we didn’t expect so many artists to come in 2023, making it the year of concerts in Brazil.

Although music artists are finally putting the country on the “tour map”, that doesn’t make it any easier to get tickets to concerts or festivals, and it’s not just because these bands or singers have a huge fanbase inside the country. The main reason why Brazilians do not have easy access to that is simply the ticket prices.  

Don’t believe us? Well, prepare yourself to see the high ticket prices that Her Campus Cásper Libero selected from MITA (Music is the Answer) and Tomorrowland to show you how Brazilian music festivals are turning into elitist events.

MITA (MUSIC IS THE ANSWER)

The MITA festival will happen on May 27 and 28 in Rio de Janeiro, and also on June 3rd and 4th in São Paulo. This event will mix a lot of musicians styles, meaning that it will have a huge audience with many different people. It will be welcoming artists like Lana del Rey, Florence + The Machine, The Mars Volta, Flume and Haim, but, unfortunately, their tickets are above the average prices in Brazil. 

Different from other festivals, MITA works at different prices according to the place where the fan is staying during the concerts. If you choose to be far away from the stage, you will be paying up to R$350,00 – or even R$950,00 depending on the type of your voucher. 

Although these prices seem to be cheaper or similar to other festivals, they represent 40% to 71% of the minimum wage in Brazil. And, if you want to be closer to the stage, the prices can be almost 95% of the minimum wage, from R$750,00 to R$2.200,00. 

TOMORROWLAND

For the electronic music fans, Tomorrowland is coming once again to Brazil. This time with incredible artists like Don Diablo, Doozie, Dubdogz and more. However, the ticket prices are not very fitting for the Brazilian pockets. 

The prices start at R$525,00 and go up to R$4.325,00 depending on how many days you want to go and how comfortable you want to be at the festival. Nonetheless, compared to the minimum wage in Brazil, these prices represent four months’ worth of salaries, making people question if they are going to pay the bills or go to an electronic festival, which doesn’t make the choice very difficult, does it? 

Even though this amount of money is absurd, that is not the only problem. The social boundaries created by the prices are linked with the social economic issues in the country. 

ANALYZING THE SOCIAL ECONOMIC PROBLEM OF THE LUXURY BUBBLES

Analyzing how much money the population would have spent just to go to a festival to listen to some good music and to take some free time makes the choice of going or not very easy.  

Although Brazilians love having fun, these kinds of festival prices give no choice to the majority of the population, which does not have this amount of money to spend on a day of fun. As a consequence, it creates something exclusive for the elites, therefore transforming the audience into a bubble of rich people with only one reality, that ignores the social and economic issues of the country. 

Still speaking of the Brazilian population, it is noticeable that the nation is completely divided into two ways: the ones who have money and the ones who don’t. A large number of people put in a hard effort at their jobs, although it’ll be enough to survive a month or less due to the salary amount.

But there are people who give jobs to the most part of society, that are called “the rich”, who use their bank account number as a symbol of power, determining who can attend certain places, like music festivals. Nevertheless, this group of citizens who identify as rich and has no price limitations on where they want to go is very small in Brazil. However, they make a lot of noise by not caring about people who have different social backgrounds, appropriating everywhere and keeping them expensive by influencing capitalism with their money. 

Following this philosophy, the poor just become poorer, not having any time for themselves, and the rich become richer while enjoying life in the luxury built by the poor who are forgotten. Unfortunately, Brazil makes people abandon their joys in life to work as robots for the bourgeoisie.

—————————————————————–

The article above was edited by Beatriz Oliveira.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Cásper Líbero home page for more!

Julia Tortoriello

Casper Libero '27

English Features Editor