5 Trans Women Who Made History In The Last Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

It’s pride month and there’s no way to talk about it without mentioning trans women and their tough existence in today’s society. For instance, Brazil is the country that most kills the transexual and transvestite population. 

To learn more about these essential women, let’s get to know 5 trans personalities who made history in the last years for you to follow and check out their amazing work. It’s about time to see these fierce women shining for the world!

Laurel Hubbard

Did you watch the Olympics last year? So you must have heard her name! Laurel Hubbard was the first transgender to ever participate in the Olympic games. Competing for New Zealand, her performance at weightlifting was remarkable even though she didn’t bring any medals home. Hubbard competed as a man until 2012, when at 30 years old she decided to transition.

Hubbard competed for the first time in international weightlifting in 2017, at the Australian International and Australian Open, in Melbourne, conquering the gold medal. That made her the first trans woman to ever win an international weightlifting competition for New Zealand. She is, without a doubt, an inspiration to her country and to trans women everywhere. 

Laverne Cox

The actress and activist of the LGBTQIA+ community, is known for her part in the show ‘Orange Is The New Black’, in which she played Sophia Burset, a transgender woman and showed the audience why it is important to have trans represantation on TV! This role also made her the first transgender person to be nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award in an acting category.

On her 50th birthday, Laverne Cox got a very significant homage. Mattel created a Barbie doll inspired by her! The doll is the first transgender Barbie ever and its relevance is revolutionary!

Tifanny Abreu

Tifanny is a Brazilian athlete, she’s 37 and the first transgender woman to play in the Femenine Volleyball Superligue of Brazil. Her journey with the Brazilian volleyball team started in 2017 and she represents a huge mark of activism in sports. 

Her presence and work for a high line team shows great progress for the country. However, it is important to remember that Brazil stands in the first position of trans homicide in the world and she still faces a lot of prejudice being a trans athlete in a female team. Tifanny Abreu’s story is extremely meaningful for Brazil!

Daniela Vega

Daniela is a Chilean actress who starred in the movie ‘Una Mujer Fantástica’, which won the Oscar for Best Foreign Picture. She started working as a hairdresser, but conquered Hollywood with her charm, charisma and talent. She always received great criticism in American magazines and became a symbol for the trans community.

Besides her presence on the screens, she is also an activist and uses her voice and social media platforms to support LGBTQIA+ causes. Due to her great work and success, Daniela Vega was the first transgender woman to present one of the Oscars Awards, in 2018.

Angela Ponce

Angela Ponce is a Spanish model and became the first trans woman to win Miss Spain and to compete at Miss Universe! This international pageant has existed since 1952, but only started accepting the participation of trans women in 2012.

Her activism is disseminated on her social media and through her volunteer work at Non-Governmental Organizations in Spain, where she dedicates herself to families and children who have to deal with gender identity. 

These women represent the trans fight on a daily basis. Their activisim and their work enphasizes more and more what has never been a secret: transgender women exist! 

It’s about time for them to conquer their space and respect! Getting to know trans people and sharing their stories are essential ways to see more than first achievements for them!

————————————————–

The article above was written by Camila Lutfi and edited by Amanda Moraes. Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Cásper Líbero home page for more!

Camila Lutfi

Casper Libero '24

Journalism student, passionate by writing and open to new lessons. Feminist, art lover and body positive, always smiling to life!