5 Sexist Phrases We’re Tired Of Listening In The Workplace

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Women have conquered their space in the workplace with a lot of effort, dedication and braveness. But some day-to-day situations shows that sexism still survives in the details.

Being a woman in the labor market is a constant struggle against sexism and this kind of symbolic violence. This type of behavior is embedded in ‘veiled’ attitudes to try to disqualify or demonstrate, in an immature way, who is in power or who is stronger.  

Recognize the prejudice when listening:

1. “Must be dating the boss”

Image Source: GIPHY

The comments that describe a woman’s professional ascension to her favoritism automatically cancel out the possibility that she has achieved good results by her own ability.

2. “Must be PMS”

Image Source: GIPHY

The problem in this sentence is that any out of habit reaction is labeled as an exaggerated and insane attitude, probably due to the PMS, since “in those days women are out of control” and not to the real gravity of the event that she’s facing. 

3. “You’re even smart enough for a woman”

Image source: GIPHY

It is common to hear assimilation of good female performance to the performance of men. While pressure for results exists for everyone, women often feel more compelled to perform well and prove their skills.

4. “You better call a man to help you with this”

Image source: GIPHY

Society clearly understands that, “because women are less capable”, women are more liable to error than men. 

5. “Why don’t you wear some makeup? It would be better presented “

Image source: GIPHY

There is a subtle irony in this comment: it’s perceptible the insinuation that appearance is more important than its competence. 

Who rules the world? Girls!

Future journalist who loves College where he studied. In love with social and political issues, do not hide my ideology and principle, but as every human fall into temptation with the superfluous. I love the series and sagas I'm so eclectic for that as for music. I'm Umbandista, daughter of the sea and of straw. I can't deny that I am hard as Scorpion, but the heart is young lady.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.