The Office
The Office
NBC Universal

#5 Series Which Have Unforgettable Christmas Episodes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The holiday season is finally here. Either discovering new series or re-watching some of your favorite holiday sitcoms, it’s the perfect time to relax and catch up on Christmas specials. While some series have lighthearted segments, others grupple with tragedy, creating really emotional episodes. 

In order to help the undecided ones, Her Campus Casper Libero prepared a list of 5 iconic series which have incredible holiday themed episodes and will get you into the Christmas spirit! Check them out below – we hope you enjoy it!

Friends (1994)

This is a series about six friends that go through many difficulties in their work and in their lovelife, but everything is always really comedic. Friends is very known for its Christmas episodes. And there are so many great ones! There was a time when Chandler had to spend Christmas in Tulsa in season 9, and when Phoebe wanted old trees to fulfill their Christmas destinations in season 3… The list goes on and on! However, there are two episodes that are unforgettable: “The One With the Holiday Armadillo” (season 7, episode 10), when Ross tries to teach Ben about Hanukkah and “The One With Phoebe’s Dad” (season 2, episode 9), when Rachel and Monica throw a party, but the radiator breaks, and Phoebe tries to build the courage to meet her dad.

The Office (2005)

The Office is about the everyday work lives of employees of Dunder Mifflin Paper Company. This is another series with many incredible Christmas episodes – in total, there are seven! But the most iconic one has to be “Christmas Party” (season 2, episode 10). It was supposed to be a simple Secret Santa gift exchange, but after Michael Scott doesn’t like his homemade oven mitt given by Phyllis Vance, he announces that everyone can steal each others’ presents. Loaded with many memorable moments from the series, “Christmas Party” was nominated for two Primetime Emmy Awards.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine (2013)

This series takes place in the fictional 99th Precinct and revolves around the life of the police with a comedic spin. Brooklyn Nine-Nine is filled with Christmas themed episodes. A really great one is “Yippie Kayak” (season 3, episode 10). Jake, Gina and Charles find themselves in the midst of a Die Hard-style situation when robbers attack a store where they are shopping on Christmas Eve.

Seinfeld (1989)

In Seinfeld, four friends deal with daily absurdities in New York City. This series has a very unique Christmas episode that features their own fictional holiday. In “The Strike” (season 9, episode 10), the world is presented to a horrendous holiday: Festivus, an anti-comercial statement. Celebrated on December 23rd, it includes an unadorned aluminum pole instead of a Christmas tree; there is an Airing of Grievances, when people talk about how disappointed they are over the past year; and a Feats of Strength, a wrestling match between father and son. Because of this episode, Seinfeld fans celebrate Festivus every year.

Black Mirror (2011)

Black Mirror features stories that reflect about the dark side of technology and society. If you’re not really into sitcoms or feel like watching something a little different, check out “White Christmas” (season 2, episode 4). Although this episode takes place on Christmas day, it is hauntingly grim. Two men wake up in a remote cabin and begin to tell their life stories, each sharing their own disturbing and gruesome tale. At the end, there’s a plot twist that will make you question everything. It’s, at the same time, dark and thrilling.

Sharing the holidays with your favorite characters is a great way to relax and have fun. Hope these series make you feel the joy of Christmas time!

———————————————————————

The article above was edited by Helena Cardoso.

Like this type of article? Check Her Campus Cásper Líbero for more.

Amanda Moraes

Casper Libero '23

majoring in journalism