This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Rumours about the next Princess Diaries movie have been going around for a while, and we have always wondered if we were ever going to get a third movie. Garry Marshall, who directed both previous movies, had a third installment planned, but he wasn’t able to go on with the project due to his death in 2016.

Well, the wait is now kind of over.

When asked about the status of the project in an interview on Watch What Happens Live back in January, actress Anne Hathaway informed us that there is in fact a script already written. Besides, she wants this movie to happen and so does Julie Andrews! “We all really want it to happen. It’s just we don’t want to unless it’s perfect, because we love it just as much as you guys love it.”, she said.

So now that we can officially start freaking out about this movie, here are five reasons why you should hop on the hype train for Princess Diaries 3:

1. We get to see Mia as Queen of Genovia

Image Source: IMDb

The last movie ended with Mia (Anne Hathaway) shooting a flaming arrow through the coronation ring and being crowned “Her Majesty Amelia Mignonette Thermopolis Renaldi, Queen of Genovia” after she revolutionized the country by abolishing the marriage law that said queens couldn’t rule the country without a husband.

Change also came to the Genovian Parliament, which now accepts women! And Charlotte (Kathleen Marshall), who used to work for Queen Clarisse (Julie Andrews), is now a member. What else changed during Mia’s reign? How is the traditional country dealing with this evolution? Is Genovia still known for its pears? Are the Baron and Baroness Von Troken (Greg Lewis and Bonnie Aarons) still hoping to become monarchs someday? We need answers!

2. Queen Clarisse and Joe as a married couple!

Image Source: IMDb

These two have to be the best couple in this franchise. They spent the entire first movie dancing around each other and we were all rooting for them. Then they finally started dating, and the second movie ended with them going public about their relationship and getting married. How are they? Did Joe (Héctor Elizondo) retire? What is he now, a consort? We’ll get to see them dancing again and the dynamics in their relationship.

3. Some characters might come back

Image Source: IMDb

Heather Matarazzo, who played Lily Moscovitz, has already declared that she would definitely come back for a third movie. So Mia’s best friend is guaranteed to show up.

Chris Pine could reprise his role as Lord Nicholas Devereaux, Mia’s most recent romantic interest. They had a fun relationship, he ditched his evil uncle in public to save Mia’s chance to become Queen of Genovia and they both confessed their love for each other in the end of the second movie. Who knows, it might have worked out between them, specially if we take that foot popping kiss in the end into consideration!

And Mandy Moore said in 2017 that she would agree to make an appearance as Lana Thomas. Maybe she can redeem herself to Mia and apologize for being a bully? I mean, they do become friends in the book series.

3. Anne Hathaway and Julie Andrews together again!

Image Source: IMDb

Julie Andrews doesn’t need a crown to be a queen and she’s absolutely perfect for the role of Clarisse Renaldi. I mean, the character was mostly developed with her in mind, so it’ll be really refreshing to see her back in the screens.

The Princess Diaries was Anne Hathaway’s first movie back in 2001 and she’s come a long way proving she’s a versatile actress, featuring in comedies, musicals and even science fiction. So it’s very fitting that she plays a more mature Mia, who has certainly been through a lot all these years and grew both as a person and as a Queen.  

4. It’s been fifteen years…

Image Source: IMDb

What else is there to say, the world is ready for The Princess Diaries 3, we have waited long enough. Disney brought back Star Wars in all its glory, so Mia’s story is definitely in good hands.

Madalena Derzi

Casper Libero '21

100% believes aliens exist
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.