This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

With the movie award season just around the corner, each film released gets more and more exciting! Now we enter the second half of the year, also known as the best half ‘cause the big screens will be playing such great movies. Wanna find out which are gonna be the ones really worth watching? Here’s a list of 5 movies you can’t miss!

Bacurau

Directed by Kleber Mendonça Filho and Juliano Dornelles, Bacurau is the new major film in Brazilian cinema. It was first shown in the Cannes Film Festival and won the Jury Prize, for which Mendonça took advantage of the speech to bring attention to the Brazilian current situation and how the film is about education and resistance. 

The plot follows the people of a small village called Bacurau when they find out the village isn’t on any maps. After that, foreigners come to Bacurau for the first time. When dead bodies start showing up and cars are shot at, people come to the conclusion that they’re being attacked.

The story goes on with their way of keeping their village and people safe and alive. Bacurau is supposed to unite people and inspire them to fight for what they believe is best for their country and people. 

Bacurau was released in Brazil on August 29th.

Check the trailer out, here!

It: Chapter Two

Twenty seven years have gone by since the events of the first movie took place. After their first encounter with the terrifying Pennywise, the so-called Loser’s Club have grown up and moved away, until a devastating phone call brings them back. 

Ever since the release of the first movie and the confirmation that a sequel would be happening, people started to wonder who would be the actors to take on the roles of the adult Loser’s Club. Now we know that James McAvoy (known for his role as Professor X in the X-Men franchise) plays Bill, Jessica Chastain (known for her iconic role in The Help)  plays Beverly and Jay Ryan, Bill Hader, Isaiah Mustafa, James Ransone and Andy Bean help complete the grown-up cast. 

The sequel to the very well-received 2017 movie adaptation for Stephen King’s It is set to hit the theaters on September 6, 2019. Unfortunately, it has been confirmed that a third movie won’t be happening and that It: Chapter Two is “a complete story”, according to screenwriter Gary Dauberman. 

Check the trailer out, here!

Little Women

Based on Louisa May Alcott’s novel and one of the most important classics in US literature, Little Women is brought back to life in a remake (following up the film’s 1994 version featuring Winona Ryder and Christian Bale), directed by Lady Bird’s Oscar nominee, Greta Gerwig. 

Set in the 1860’s, the plot follows the March sisters and their journey in pursuit of their dreams and ambitions while figuring out what it means to be a woman in a society and a time that limits them to the roles of caregiving and loving. 

If the plot didn’t sell this story enough, the cast sure will. This movie put together some of the biggest names in acting such as Saoirse Ronan, Emma Watson, Meryl Streep, Laura Dern and Timothée Chalamet.

The film is set to hit theaters on December 26th in the US, right after Christmas and perfect for the holiday season.

Check the trailer out, here!

Joker

It’s very likely you’re already familiar with the Joker, the DC Comics character. On October 3rd, we are finally getting a solo film exclusively focused on the infamous supervillain and his origin story – an original, standalone fictional story not seen before on the big screen. 

The American psychological thriller will star the one and only Robert DeNiro, Zazie Beetz (from Atlanta) and Frances Conroy (from American Horror Story) alongside Joaquin Phoenix, mostly known for his role on Her, who will be the one to bring the Joker to life. 

A “gritty character study of Arthur Fleck, a man disregarded by society, and a broader cautionary tale” is how the movie, screenplayed by Todd Phillips and Scott Silver, is described on IMDb. 

The film is predicted to be 122-minute-long and, according to Rotten Tomatoes’ “Ridiculously Early Oscar Predictions”, Phoenix should get nominated for Best Actor for his role as the Batman’ arch nemesis. 

Check the trailer out, here!

Yesterday

Struggling musician, Jack Malik (Himesh Patel) is knocked out one day after a show and wakes up in an alternate reality. Jack finds that in this new world some things are different, for instance, Pepsi exists but Coke doesn’t and the twist that becomes the hook for the plot: no one has heard of the Beatles. 

Jack then takes this opportunity to make the Beatles songs his own. He becomes a famous composer and musician and later finds out his childhood best friend Ellie (Lily James) is in love with him.

Directed by Danny Boyle, Yesterday is a film for anyone who enjoys The Beatles’ music and is a love letter to the band and to music in general. 

Yesterday is available in theaters in Brazil since August 29th.

Check the trailer out, here!

Marina Sakai

Casper Libero '22

hi! I’m marina, I’m majoring in journalism and I’ve always been in love with reading and writing :)
Nathália Lopes

Casper Libero '23

Journalism student
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.