#5 Movies to Watch During The Month of Lesbian Visibility in Brazil

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

On the 29th of August 1996, the National Day for Lesbian Visibility in Brazil was established. This date was instituted during the first National Lesbian Seminar that took place in Rio de Janeiro, bringing together activists from all over the country. The Month of Lesbian Visibility is aimed towards remembering and extolling the existence of lesbian women, remembering the violence they suffer and the guidelines that are claimed by the movement that, many times, end up being neglected.

Thinking of praising, remembering and supporting the fight, we gathered 5 films with a lesbian theme for you to watch during this month.

Reaching For The Moon (Flores Raras)

Reaching For The Moon (Flores Raras) is a 2013 Brazilian film, of the romantic-biographical drama genre, directed by Bruno Barreto, with screenplay by Carolina Kotscho and Matthew Chapman. The movie, based on the book Flores Raras e Banalíssimas by Carmen L. Oliveira, tells the story of a real love between Brazilian architect Lota de Macedo Soares (Glória Pires) and American poet Elizabeth Bishop (Miranda Otto). The film is set in Petrópolis, city of Rio de Janeiro, between the 50s and the 60s, when the Bossa Nova movement started. 

Pariah

Produced in 2011 by American director Dee Rees, Pariah tells the story of an American teenager, Alike (Adepero Oduye), who lives in Brooklin, USA, and experiences internal conflicts due to her sexual identity and self-esteem. The drama tells the story of Alike and her decision between hiding her sexuality from her parents or assuming her homosexuality and be rejected by her family. 

Elisa & Marcela (Elisa y Marcela)

Elisa & Marcela (Elisa y Marcela) is a 2019 Spanish romantic drama directed by Isabel Coixet. The movie tells the story of Elisa Sánchez Loriga and Marcela Gracia Ibeas, two women who passed themselves off as a heterosexual couple to get married in 1901. In the plot, Elisa (Natalia de Molina) adopts a male identity in order to be able to marry Marcela (Greta Fernández), therefore becoming the first same-sex marriage registered in Spain.

The Feels

The Feels is a dramatic comedy, directed by Jeneé LaMarque, and tells the story of a group of friends who go to the bachelorette parties of the couple Andi (Constance Wu) and Lu (Angela Trimbur). The unexpected happens when one of the brides admits to never having an orgasm, triggering a series of unexpected moments and bringing up important issues such as trust, dialogue and love.

Rafiki

Rafiki is a Kenyan drama, directed by Wanuri Kahiu, and tells the story of two friends, Kena (Samantha Mugatsia) and Ziki (Sheila Munyiva). In the movie, their families are rivals, but, despite the rivalry, the friendship between the two is not shaken while both go after their dreams. When Kena and Ziki’s friendship turns to love, the two must face a prejudiced and conservative society.

—————————————————————–

The article above was edited by Laura Okida.

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

My name is Gabriela, I am 22 years old and I am currently at my senior year of Public Relations at college. I like to go out with my friends, watch series and chill with my cats
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.