This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The coldest season of the year arrives today and nothing better than enjoying the lazier weather to watch good movies under the blanket. Next, you’ll check out a list of 5 options to suit all tastes and moods to warm you up. Be sure to prepare your hot chocolate.

1. The Revenant

Image Source: IMDb

The film that finally gave the Oscar of best actor for Leonardo DiCaprio has impeccable photography focused on nature, bringing beautiful landscapes of rivers, mountains, forests and snow. This makes it the best choice to get into the winter’s mood and still enjoy an overproduction.

In the story, set in the 19th century, Hugh Glass is attacked by a bear and is abandoned by his partners, who still steal his belongings and leave him on the verge of death. Despite this, Glass resists adversity and begins a hard journey in search of revenge. The Revenant involves, above all, reflection on the struggle for survival, mixing drama and thriller in certain doses.

2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Image Source: IMDb

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a movie that mixes a melancholy coldness with the heat of an intense love that survives through time and forgetfulness.

Joel Barish and Clementine Kruczynski are a couple with contrasting personalities who are experiencing a crisis. Unlike Jim Carrey’s usual comedy roles, in this particular film the actor is an introspective young man who ends up depressed after discovering that his ex has decided to erase him from her memory during a procedure at a clinic.

The film especially proposes a reflection on the desire to forget traumas and try to break free of the weight that can be facing reality without someone you loved much in the past. Also, if it were even possible to erase someone from your mind, this would also cause the delete of happy affective memories.

3. Carol

Image Source: IMDb

Nothing more related to winter than Christmas shopping, right? In this movie, Carol meets Therese in a department store and so a love story will be born between them. The film is a good option for those who are tired of the usual movie scripts of heterosexual couples. In that respect, this movie dares to put two great actresses, like Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara, to carry out a passion lived by two women in the middle of New York of the 1950’s.

The story is based on Patricia Highsmith’s novel, The Price of Salt, originally published in 1952. Thinking that the LGBTQ+ community is still harshly repressed today, it was even more delicate at that time to admit a homosexual relationship because of the highly sexist and conservative society. The production deals with that very delicately way and brings to the light discussions about facade relationships besides extremely important reflections.

4. Hachi: A Dog’s Tale

Image Source: IMDb

Starring Richard Gere, Hachi: A Dog’s Tale, tells the true story of fellowship between a teacher and his dog. Hachi follows his owner on the way to work every day and waits for him in the train station at the end of the afternoon. However, one day this doesn’t happen, because the teacher dies in the classroom after a heart attack and never returns to the train station. Even so, Hachi waits for him every day, at the same time and place, for many years.

This one is a good call for cold days, because it will melt your heart and certainly makes you cry a little bit. Get ready to fall in love with a genuine story of love and friendship that brings the reflection about relationships that goes far beyond the barriers of any understanding.

5. Snow White and the Huntsman

Image Source: IMDb

This is a great choice for those who enjoy a classic story with a touch of romance and action. Kristen Stewart plays the famous Disney character, but adding strong traits of leadership and femininity.

The story is strengthened when the Queen, obsessed with beauty and eternal youth, determines that the heart of the most beautiful one should be torn away. To do so, she pursues Snow White with the help of the Huntsman, a man who has lost his wife and lives hopelessness.

However, Snow shows that beauty is just one of hers many charms and, with the help of enchanted creatures from the Forest and even the Huntsman, she returns to hers father’s ancient kingdom in search of justice.

Bruna Vasconcelos

Casper Libero '20

Journalism student passionate about writing and usually busy drinking tea, reading politics articles or thinking about what forgot at home. Also in love with poetry and culture, collaborates with some movie reviews.
Anna is a 21 year old from Sao Paulo, Brazil, who studies Journalism at Casper Libero University. She’s currently the Editor in Chief of Her Campus CL's Chapter and is pretty obsessed with fashion, beauty and (trashy) reality TV shows.