5 modern rom-coms that are worth watching on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Romantic comedy: a type of movie that smells like strawberries, tastes like youth and feels like a remedy for real life romances! Everyone knows that the rom-coms golden era was the 90s and 2000s, but that doesn’t mean nowadays we don’t have great movies too! In this article, we’ve brought 5 modern rom-coms to add more love to Valentine’s Day week!

Set it up (2018)

Synopsis: In desperate need of a break from the office, two corporate executive assistants (Glen Powell and Zoey Deutch) team up to trick their bosses into falling in love.

This movie has the same appeal as the old rom-coms, with a lot of chemistry and a lot of cute moments. Where can you watch it? Netflix! 

Crazy Rich Asians (2018)

Synopsis: book-based rom-com that centers on Rachel Chu (Constance Wu), a smart and independent Chinese American economics professor who’s in love with Nick Young (Henry Golding) – who turns out to be from an insanely wealthy Singaporean family.

Book based movies, when well done, are a cinematic masterpiece. With the Oscar Winner Michele Yeoh, this film is definitely one of the best modern rom coms you will watch: it has a lot of funny jokes, badass moments (Gemma Chan, ladies and gentlemen) and scenes that will bring you to tears. Where can you watch it? You can rent it on multiple streams platforms.

Falling Inn Love (2019)

Synopsis: When a San Francisco exec wins a New Zealand inn, she ditches city life to remodel and flip the rustic property, with help from a handsome contractor.

This movie is not a must, but it is perfect for those days when you only want to watch something relaxing, fun and loveable. Where can you watch it? Netflix. 

The Broken Hearts Gallery (2020)

Synopsis: Lucy, a born collector, suffers a bad breakup with her boyfriend, who is also her boss at the Whitney Museum. Not knowing what to do with the items love has left behind, she organizes “The Gallery Of Broken Hearts” in the lobby of a hotel.

With a meet cute and the lesson that heartbreaks are a part of our lives and we don’t have to simply erase them, but grow from them, this movie brings Dacre Montgomery in a very different role compared to the one he played in Stranger things. Where can you watch it? Amazon Prime.

Crush (2022)

Synopsis: When a young artist is forced to join her high school track team, she uses it as a chance to pursue the girl for whom she’s been harboring a crush.

What feels great about this lgbtq+ high school rom-com is the fact that the plot is not about homophobia: they are just teens living and loving. Where can you watch it? Star+.

👯‍♀️ Related: 5 Books You Need To Read If You Love Romantic Comedy Movies

The article above was edited by Juliana Sanches.

Like this type of content? Check out Her Campus Casper Libero for more.

Malu Alcântara

Casper Libero '26

I’m Malu, a journalism student at Casper Libero, still learning the art of writing.