5 Hipster Movies That Everyone Should Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Hypster cinema, in most cases, divides the audience into two extremes: people who love the category and people who who not even have watched this kind of movie. There are several great works of the genre, but we selected those that we think are the best and that everyone should watch at least once in their life.

The Fabulous Destiny of Amélie Poulain (2001)

The story of young Amélie will make you see your life differently. The delicate and sensitive narrative teaches us to value the little pleasures of life.

Amélie works as a waitress in a Parisian restaurant. One day she finds in her apartment a little box left by the last inhabitant and decides to return it. Noticing the man’s happiness at receiving the box, Amélie discovers a new purpose for her life: to make people happy with gentle little gestures every day.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)

The film builds a reflection on modern relationships, there is a process of self-knowledge and maturing of the main character. The cinematic experience is instigating and very pleasurable.

Joel and Clementine, after years trying to make their relationship work, decide to break up. Disillusioned, Clementine tries to forget Joel forever, and submits herself to an experimental treatment that removes from her memory the moments lived with him. Discovering her decision, Joel does the same, but after the experiment fails, she begins to fit into memories of moments they did not live together.

American Beauty (1999)

From the first minutes of the film, it is possible to identify the presence of a strong social criticism in American Beauty. A controversial, timeless and enchanting work that, after more than 20 years is still essential and everyone should watch it once in a lifetime.

Lester Burham, an unhappy man, who does not like his job or his life, feels powerless and hopeless. Upon meeting Jane, his daughter’s friend, he feels enchanted by her beauty and decides to start his life over again. He resigns from his job and changes the course of his life with help from neighbor Ricky.

Her (2013)

“Her” builds a critique of modern human life in which machines are replacing personal relationships. As we watch the film, we feel some way weird, because it is possible to see ourselves and the society we live in portrayed on screen.

Theodore, a lonely writer, gets emotionally involved with his computer’s operating system. He falls in love with the voice of this system, a virtual assistant named Samantha.

Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961)

This cinema classic, based on Truman Capote’s book, deals with very important themes that were treated as taboo at the time. Veiled in a romantic approach, the critics present in the plot revolutionized the cinema of the 1960s.

Holly Golightly is call girl, who wanted to marry a millionaire and has breakfast every day in front of the Tiffany jewelry store. When she meets Paul Varjak, a young writer who has become her neighbor, her plans change.

—————————————————————–

The article above was edited by Mel Trench

Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Giulia Lozano Pacini

Casper Libero '23

.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.