When the cold days arrive, our unstoppable will of staying in bed all day usually connects with an insatiable hunger. Thinking about that, here is a selection of five incredible recipes, among sweet and savory, to warm up your heart and stomach during sweater weather.
- Brazilian Cinnamon “Raindrop” Doughnuts
Although this classic brazilian recipe is perfect for eating at any time of the year, it makes a particularly special combination with cold weather. In order to prepare around 40 unities of these cinnamon doughnuts, you are going to need:
– 2 eggs
– 3/4 tea cup of sugar
– 2 tablespoons of butter
– ½ teaspoon of salt
– 1 tablespoon of baking powder
– 1 tea cup of milk
– 2 tea cups of wheat flour
– Oil (for frying)
– Sugar and cinnamon powder (to sprinkle)
1. In a bowl, join the eggs, the butter, the sugar and the salt and mix it well.
2. Add alternately the milk and the flour, always mixing it with a spoon. Then, add the baking powder and mix it well again.
3. In a medium pan, put a great amount of oil and set it to a high heat. When the oil is already hot, lower the heat.
4. With two dessert spoons, shape the dough into small balls. For that, fill one of the spoons with the dough and keep passing it from one to another, until it gets a round shape.
5. Carefully, put small portions of this dough into the hot oil. Let them fry until they reach a golden color.
6. Take out the doughnuts with a cooking skimmer and put them on a plate with paper towel.
7. In another plate, put the cinnamon and the sugar, then mix them well. Put the doughnuts in this mixture until they get covered by the powder.
And finally, they’re done! You can also enjoy them accompanied by a warm cup of tea. The final amount may vary according to the size of the doughnuts balls you made.
- Green Soup
A tradicional portuguese recipe, this green soup is truly tasty. Some people may think that soup is not appropriate for lunch or dinner, but during cold days there is nothing better than a warm (and delicious) plate like this one. To make a generous portion of this soup, you are going to use:
– 5 medium/large potatoes
– 2 portuguese sausages
– Chopped kale (the amount vary according to your preferences. Some recipes suggest using ½ pack.)
First, cook the potatoes in a pan with boiling water. If they are in slices, it will cook faster. You can also put the portuguese sausages with them, just to give it a special taste during the process. Then, take out the sausages and add the potatoes in the liquifier to crush them and make a kind of cream. Cut the portuguese sausages into slices, and add in a pan with the potatoes cream. Add a pinch of salt if you think it’s needed. Finally, add the chopped kale: that is the secret for the green tone of the soup. And it is done!
- Hot Cocoa
Just like hot chocolate, this beverage is essential for bringing the cozy comfort you look for during cold weathers. To do this delicious homemade hot cocoa recipe, you are going to need:
– 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
– 1 to 2 tablespoons of sugar (depending on how you like it)
– Pinch of salt
– 1 cup of any kind of milk (cow milk, almond milk, etc)
– 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Whisk together the cocoa, sugar, salt, and about 2 tablespoons of milk in a small pan over medium-low heat, until cocoa and sugar are dissolved. Whisk in the rest of the milk and heat it to medium heat, whisking occasionally, until it is hot. Stir in the vanilla and serve.
- Cheese Fondue
Cheesy recipes are simply perfect, and fondue is a great one to eat when you are freezing inside your house. If you are in the mood for this pretty simple version, grab a glass of wine, your fondue set and make sure you have:
– ½ liter of milk
– 1 tablespoon of wheat flour
– 200 grams of grated mozzarella
– ½ pack of cheese cream soup
– 1 tablespoon of butter
Mix all the ingredients, heating it in a pan until it boils. Then, put the mixture into the fondue pot, and just regulate it according to your needs. You can eat it with bread, broccoli, cauliflower, grape tomatoes, filet mignon cubes and many other options. It’s up to you!
And the last recipe of this list could not be more brazilian and suitable to the cold weather days. Fast and basic, even the beginners at cooking can easily taste this delicious chocolate recipe. For that classic brigadeiro, the required ingredients are:
– 1 can of condensed milk (usually has around 400 g)
– 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder
– 1 tablespoon of butter
In a pan, add the butter and let it melt a little bit in lower heat. Then, add the condensed milk and the cocoa powder, and mix it well to dissolve the cocoa. Keep mixing for around 10 minutes, or until you can see the bottom of the pan. Turn of the stove and take it out from the pan; let it chill.
After that, you can turn it into the typical round shaped brigadeiros, but I particularly recommend that you to put it into a bowl and just eat it with a spoon. It is even easier and truly satisfying – and you do not even need to wait until it gets cold. Choose a great movie to watch, grab your brigadeiro and just enjoy the moment!
So, have you chosen which one are your going to give it a try? Tell us!
The article above was edited by Mel Trench.
Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!