5 Carnival “Bloquinhos” From São Paulo You Should Go

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

The Carnival Bloquinhos have their origins in Brazilian Northeast region, with the portuguese popular parties entrusas – events in which people used to throw flour, eggs and ink on each other. Over time, the celebration changed: costumes have been added, the bloquinhos have grown and the parades have become a worldwide reference. Today, the parades in Rio de Janeiro receive millions of people from all over the world. On Salvador, the street bloquinhos have also won a special attention because of the production, extension and, mainly, the musical attractions.

However, another Brazilian region that doesn’t stay apart is our beloved São Paulo! With many bloquinhos and an amazing parade competition, São Paulo rocks when it comes to this celebration. In 2019, with 570 bloquinhos, the town will stop for five days (from March 02nd to March 06th). We selected five bloquinhos you must go during this year’s Carnival! Prepare the costume, the drinks, the glitter (biodegradable, please!) and choose your favorite bloquinho to enjoy the best time of the year.

1. It wasn’t love, it was cilada! (Não era amor, era cilada!)

One of the most expected bloquinhos for this year, the Bloco Samby e Júnior has come to cheer up the Carnival of São Paulo. In its first edition, Samby e Júnior promises to reunite the bests hits from the Brazilian 90’s, including pagodes, axés and boybands songs that have made a huge success on the that decade. From Chitãozinho e Xororó to Rouge, it’s time to dance by the sound of nostalgy! The Bloco Samby e Júnior will happen at Major Sertório Street, 360 on March 2nd at 10 a.m. If you like this one, you should also like:

• Bloco Vou de Táxi: Faria Lima Avenue on March 10th at 2 p.m.

• Sabe de Nada Inocente with Compadre Washington: Tiradentes Avenue on March 10th at 1 p.m.

• Domingo Ela Não Vai: Marquês de São Vicente Avenue on March 03rd at 11 a.m.

2. Groove is power

For the LGBT community, the news this year is the Bloco das Gloriosas. With the aim to make people dance all day, this one brings the Brazilian pop music icon of representativeness Gloria Groove. Next to Pabllo Vittar, Groove is the owner of many recent hits such as “Coisa Boa”, “Bumbum de Ouro”, “Provocar” and others. The event seems to be a huge opportunity to enjoy the songs, to wear the brightest costume and to experience the freedom of Carnival! Bloco das Gloriosas will start at Ipiranga Avenue on March 3rd at 5 p.m.

Other bloquinhos consecrated by the LGBT public are:

• Agrada Gregos: Tiradentes Avenue on March 05th at 1 p.m.

• Minhoqueens: República Square on March 02nd at 3 p.m.

3. Axé in SP

Of course that the axé couldn’t miss at Carnival! Away from Salvador, Carlinhos Brown will drive the Bloco du Brasil. Singer and composer of famous axés such as “O que seria”, “A namorada” and “Magalenha”, Brown will fill the event with passion and energy. It’s the first time the singer leaves Salvador Carnival to be in São Paulo. The estimated public is between 15,000 and 20,000 revelers. Prepare yourself to dance! The bloquinho will be at Brigadeiro Faria Lima Avenue, 64 on March 2nd at 11 a.m.

If you like a good axé, you should also go to:

• Baco do Parangolé – Anna Campos Melão Street on March 03rd at 11 a.m.

• Largadinho with Claudia Leitte – Tiradentes Avenue on March 09th at 3 p.m.

• Pipoca da Rainha with Daniela Mercury – Consolação Street on March 10th at 3 p.m.

4. Time to glow

Carnival is also an event for the MPB fans! The Bloco Tarado Ni Você, a traditional tribute to Caetano Veloso, will happen with a lot of shine and glow. With the theme “Guys, it’s to shine!”, the bloquinho exalts unity, happiness and love. It’s a call against the current hate that perpetuates in our society. It’ll be on March 2nd at 10 a.m. And it couldn’t start in a better place: you know when you cross the Ipiranga with São João Avenue?

Other bloquinhos more in the MPB style are:

• Zélia, Cássia, Rita, Carolina e Todas as Minas – Faustolo Street on March 05th at 3 p.m.

• Bloco do Síndico (Tim Maia tribute) – Helio Peregrino Avenue on March 10th at 3 p.m.

5. Sambar or arrochar?

And, to finish, we couldn’t miss the sertanejo bloquinhos! The musical style that doesn’t get out of the brazilians’ mind has also its space on Carnival. The bet to this year is Bloco Bem Sertanejo with Michel Teló (a great singer, composer, instrumentalist and jury of The Voice Brasil). It’s the first edition and has an estimated public of more than 100.000 revelers. Don’t worry, forget the samba and show your arrocha! At Armando de Sales Oliveira Square, Bloco Bem Sertanejo will start at 2 p.m. on March 3rd.

To swing by the sound of the bests sertanejo songs, there are also:

• Bloco Pinga Ni Mim – Brigadeiro Faria Lima Avenue on March 04th at 1 p.m.

• Bloco Segura Peão – Engineer Luis Carlos Berrini Avenue on March 9th at 2 p.m.

So, which one are you going to choose for celebrating the São Paulo Carnival this year?

I'm a journalism student at Cásper Líbero College. I like literature and politics and I desire to travel and to know a lot of people through my career. I love reading, writing and discussing the world around me. I believe the information and the truth must prevail above all.
Giovanna Pascucci

Casper Libero '22

Estudante de Relações Públicas na Faculdade Cásper Líbero que ama animais e falar sobre séries.