#5 Books That You Should Read If You Liked Shadow & Bone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

If you enjoyed watching the new Grishaverse, with all fight scenes, drama, betrayals and romance, I have a list for you! And while we wait for season two to see what happens to our main characters, we picked a few books that will help you go through this difficult time without the Darkling — I know, we all miss him dearly.

Ah! All the following books are also Young Adult, so if that’s your thing, keep on reading. Let’s get into it!

Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyami

Let’s start this off with a book that everyone needs to read at least once in their lives: The Legacy of Orïsha. Written by a nigerian-american, this book follows our main girl Zélie Adebola as she tries to bring back magic to the kingdom of Orïsha.

These books are so dynamic and so emotive that I promise you’ll read the first novel in less than a day. Children of Blood and Bone uses a lot of the african culture in its pages, while showing the importance of ancestry in protagonism.

In various metaphors, this romance also discusses racism and the fear of being different. It’s a must read and if you have the chance, don’t miss it out!

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

Do you miss reading the enemies to lovers trope already? Don’t worry! I got your back.

The Cruel Prince is about Jude Duarte, a human girl living among fairies who’s just trying to fit in. She has a twin sister, Taryn, who’s a people pleaser, and an arch nemesis, Cardan, the youngest of the High Court of Faerie. This fantasy novel blends royal drama, trickery and families with way too much miscommunication.

If you enjoy plot twists, betrayals, sarcastic princes with a dark background and badass main characters, you have to give the trilogy a chance!

The Infernal Devices trilogy by Cassandra Clare

Written by the iconic Cassandra Clare, the creator of The Mortal Instruments series — that you might know for both mediocre movie, City of Bones, or the Netflix tv show, Shadowhunters — the Infernal Devices is a prequel to the main saga. It follows our main character, Tessa Gray, who goes to London in a quest to live a better life with her brother, Nate. However, she gets kidnapped by the Dark Sisters, a weird looking duo who forces her to use a power that Tessa didn’t even know she had.

Set in the Victorian Era, the trilogy is full of first romances, dramas, warlocks, vampires, shadowhunters… Guess you’ll have to find out!

And if you enjoyed these books, try giving Cassie’s new trilogy, The Last Hours, a chance! It’s about the Infernal Devices’ children and secret keeping. I promise you won’t regret it.

Caraval by Stephanie Garber

This one is thrilling! Caraval follows the story of two sisters who are trying to escape their cruel and abusive father after he arranges Scarlett, one of the sisters, a marriage. However, weddings are off her list, since her biggest dream is to see a once-a-year performance where the audience takes part in the show: Caraval itself. But guess what? She gets the opportunity to participate because of a very mysterious sailor who gets kidnapped by the show’s mastermind organizer, since this season will be all about the sailor.

And if you think this performance is only an elaborate show, you’re mistaken. This book is full of heartbreak, plot twists and magic; so it’s basically everything we need in a novel.

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Last, but not least, if you enjoyed the crows in the show — because let’s be honest, they stole it —, make sure to read Six of Crows! It’s the sequel of the main trilogy Shadow and Bone and it follows this new main group that we kinda already know: Kaz, Inej, Jesper, Nina, Matthias and… well, you’ll have to find out!

This duology follows a huge, and probably impossible, heist which sounds more like a suicide mission, full of dangers that the main crew will have to go through. The reward is an insane amount of money, Kaz Brekker’s most wild dream.

With very lovable and relatable characters, good laughs, enemies-to-lovers-to-enemies couples, and terrible heartbreaks, Six of Crows is allegedly Bardugo’s most complex and captivating story and it’s worth reading. I promise you!

—————————————————————

Like this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Líbero for more!

Julia Maria Pereira

Casper Libero '21

somewhere in between a journalist (or at least one in process) and someone who's obsessed with pop culture, health, beauty and fashion.