#5 Books Written by Women That Will Help You Understand Politics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

When it comes to understanding politics, many people struggle to learn more about it, and more, run away from debates because they have difficult on explaining how systems of government works and it’s issues. In this case, you can rely on books written by politicians and History Professors that you guide you in the long journey which is understanding politics. 

But how about that? You can learn more about this complicated issue reading books written by women! Isn’t that great? We all know that for centuries, women have been silenced because men think that we can’t talk, learn, teach (and much more) because that’s their role paper. Oh fragile masculinity! Thanks to our old suffragists friends, women, over the pasts centuries, has conquer many rights and space where her voice is now listened. Thanks to that, women now has the opportunity to go to college and study subjects  usually designed only for men, like politics. 

So here, you can get to know books that will help you to understand about politics written by women and support them, because, trust me, they know just the same, and maybe more about politics! 

The Origins of totalitarianism – Hannah Arendt

Origin of totalitarianism became a classic soon after its publication, and til now  days this literature master piece is considered the definitive history of totalitarian political movements. During the reading,  Hannah Arendt will guide you through some of the events that had happened in the world, like the growth of anti-Semitism in Central and Western Europe in the 1800s and proceeds with the analysis of European colonial imperialism from 1884 until the outbreak of the First World War. The last section discusses the institutions and operations of these movements, focusing on the two main totalitarian regimes of our era: Nazi Germany and Stalinist Russia. 

Arendt considers the transformation of classes into masses, the role of propaganda in dealing with the non-totalitarian world and the use of terror as essential factors for the functioning of this type of regime. That’s a crucial and indispensable point of reference for political-philosophical reflection in the contemporary world.

Sobre o autoritarismo brasileiro – Lilia Schwarcz

When it comes to Brazilian politics and authoritarianism, that’s the most recommended book! In order to write this book, the author, Lillia made a huge and deep research reuniting some statistics and from that, she analyses some of the old and deep origins of the Brazilian authoritarianism, though often hidden by a national mythology. By investigating these undergrounds of the country’s history – and it’s permanence in the present – the author exposes the roots of authoritarianism in Brazil and helps to understand why we were and continue to be a much more exclusive than inclusive nation, with a long way to go. ahead in developing a fair and egalitarian agenda.

Valsa brasileira: Do boom ao caos econômico – Laura Carvalho

In a government we can’t separate politics from economy, because they are deeply related, especially when it comes to Brazil. The book written by Laura Carvalho, brings up the politic context since Lula’s rising and Dilma Roussef’s fall addressing its benefits and losses during these 11 years, which mixed huge prosperity, but also, a huge crisis. So, what happened? Laura Carvalho suggests an explanation to you! According to the author, the obstacles to the continuation of inclusive growth in 2006 and 2010 were overcome, but it was decided to use them as a pretext for an unsuccessful change of course. Laura Carvalho is not limited to the diagnosis, and proposes a new agenda, assuming that the deepening of democracy fits in the budget! Well, I personally recommend this book to you, so that you can understand better what’s going on in our country now a days!

Mulheres no poder: Trajetórias na política a partir da luta das sufragistas do Brasil – Shuma Schumaher, Antonia Ceva

In order to understand politics, it’s crucial to understand its characters, right? So I ask you, do you know when the first women showed up in our government? If the answer is “no!”, this book will help you to rescue the participation and presence of women in the realm of politics – a space of power historically occupied by men. It is a reference work, which presents the trajectory of women, from our country and our history, who fought to win the vote, who dared to apply and who held positions within the federal Legislative, Executive and Judiciary, opening new paths for Brazilian women.

A Verdade É Teimosa. Diários da Crise que Adiou o Futuro – Miriam Leitão

Again, politics and economy are deeply related, and Miriam Leitão does not forget about it! The book “A Verdade é teimosa. Diários da crise que Adiou o Futuro”, the author exposes that there is no government that stops standing when the governor causes a serious economic crisis. In the past two years, Brazil has passed through a severe recession, with an unprecedented breach in public accounts. Miriam is a Brazilian journalist who writes about politics for a long time, and in her book, there are 118 texts produced since 2010, when talking about the economic crisis seemed a real audacity, until November 2016, when the Temer government was going through moments of great political instability. 

In a very understandable language, Míriam analyses the background that led to the recession, fiscal disorder and inflation, as well as the most acute moments of the crisis itself. The passage of time shows that there is no point in fighting with the facts, because the truth is stubborn and appears even after being covered up by statistical or rhetorical juggling.

The article above was edited by Helena Leite. Liked this type of content? Check Her Campus Casper Libero home page for more!

Julia Maciel

Casper Libero '24

Writting to provide knowledge. Knowledge changes the world. You can change the world. Majoring in Journalism at Cásper Líbero. Instagram: @juubritom