#5 Books To Be Released & Read During Vacation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Winter break, for those of us who live in South America, is finally here! But whether you’re going to enjoy the cold underneath the covers or celebrate the summer on the beach, one of the best things to do while on vacation is to catch up with the latest book releases and read a lot while there is still time, right? With that in mind, we gather a list of novels that have been recently released or will be available during this period.

One Last Stop, Casey McQuiston

One Last Stop is a new novel by the same author of the TikTok hit Red, White & Royal Blue. However, this promises to be very different from McQuiston’s first book. While it will still have the queer vibes that we love, as the main couple is formed by two girls, this one has elements such as time travelling and mystery. It was released on June 1st and many people are already talking about it.

Malibu Rising, Taylor Jenkins Reid

Released on June 1st, this is the newest novel by author Taylor Jenkins Reid. Her previous books, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo and Daisy Jones & The Six, were huge successes among readers, so there was a lot of anticipation regarding her new one. Nonetheless, it seems there was no disappointment since the book debuted on the New York Times Best Sellers List. Malibu Rising still follows what Reid did in those earlier novels, telling the story of ficcional famous people in different decades, but this one promises to have lots of summer vibes, crazy parties and family drama.

Doramar ou a Odisseia, Itamar Vieira Junior

Itamar Vieira Junior is the author of Torto Arado, a critically acclaimed novel and winner of the Prêmio Jabuti, one of the most important prizes for Brazilian literature. In his new book, the writer gathered a list of 12 tales that make a portrait of Brazil’s culture and how its dark past still impacts the country. Published on June 8th, it promises to be a critic’s favorite.

The Other Black Girl, Zakiya Dalila Harris

The debut novel of Zakiya Dalila Harris barely made it to the stores and everyone is already talking about it. Defined as “The Devil Wears Prada meets Get Out”, this book is a thriller that follows Nella Rogers, who was the only black woman working on a publisher until another one enters the company. At first, she’s thrilled, but then, strange things start to happen. Released on June 1st, it was considered one of the Most Anticipated Books of 2021 by Time, The Washington Post, Marie Claire and many others.

She Who Became the Sun, Shelley Parker-Chan

She Who Became the Sun is the debut novel of Asian-Australian author Shelley Parker-Chan and will be available on July 20th. It is “a bold, queer, and lyrical reimagining of the rise of the founding emperor of the Ming Dynasty”, according to Goodreads. This book promises to be the start of a new fantasy series full of representativeness and historical adventure.

Plus: Books That Are Arriving In Brazil!

As people from South America are already used to, books tend to take a while to be translated and published here. Thinking about, we also gathered a list of novels that are coming to Brazil in this vacation period:

• Felix Ever After, by Kacen Callender, published as “Felix para Sempre” on July 14th by Editora Nacional

• Clap When You Land, Elizabeth Acevedo, published as “Agora que ele se foi” on June 15th by Editora Nacional

• Starless Sea, by Erin Morgenstern, published as “O Mar Sem Estrelas” on June 21st by Editora Morro Branco

• Serpent & Dove, by Shelby Mahurin, published as “Pássaro e Serpente” on July 12nd by Galera Record

• Archenemies, by Marissa Meyer, published as “Arqui-inimigos” on June 25th by Rocco

———————————————————————-

The article above was edited by Isabella Gemignani.

Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Casper Libero for more!

Julia Queiroz

Casper Libero '23

Campus Correspondent @ Her Campus at Cásper Líbero. Journalism major, Taylor Swift lover and romance reader. Passionate about writing, telling stories and getting to know the world :)